Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Help with 10 speed Freestyle

Related video tutorials:
How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur How to Adjust Your Front Derailleur
* Now with 3D interactive instructions
DSGBicycles Offline

Help with 10 speed Freestyle
I'm a bike tech at dicks sporting goods in Bloomfield, MI and I'm having trouble with replacing the cables on an old 10 speed freestyle. I've only been working at this job for about 3 months now, so I don't have a ton of experience working on bikes yet, and I can't tell how to get the cable out of the shifter.

It looks like the cable should just be able to pop out of the end of the shifter (I have already removed the housing), but I can't get it to budge. Is there something else I need to do first before I can take the cable out, or is it just that this particular one is likely jammed?
Aug 26, 2014 01:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DaveM Offline
Veteran Member

RE: Help with 10 speed Freestyle
On most shifters, you just push the cable out of the shifter (in the opposite direction that the shifter pulls the cable normally) until the cable head pops out and the cable can slide out completely. It may just be the the head on the cable is wedged tightly into the hole in the shifter and needs a little force to pop out. The sizing of the cable heads and shifter holes isn't completely standard and you sometimes get very tight ones.
Aug 26, 2014 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cny-man Offline

Syracuse, NY
There are a multitude of levers on the market, and we don't even know if the bike has road or mountain bars. Need info as to brand/model and pics of lever.
Aug 26, 2014 03:43 PM
DSGBicycles Offline

If I knew the model of the shifters, I would have just looked up the manufacturer instructions for changing the cable cny-man Tongue All they say on them is Index Shifting System, which could be about any brand.

That's exactly what I tried to do Dave, so I think you're right and the head is just wedged in there too tight. The reason the guy brought the bike in is because it was in a crash, so I'm sure that has something to do with the current situation. Thanks for confirming my suspicions though Smile
Aug 27, 2014 09:46 AM
cny-man Offline

Syracuse, NY
Excuse me, but we only know what you tell us, and if we don't know anything about what lever you are dealing with it's difficult to give specific advice. You still have not said what type of shifter you have or provided a pic.
Aug 27, 2014 10:21 AM
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
From what I have seen this year in bicycles and from this spread, is that Dicks bikes are just a cut above Walmart/Target /Kmart type bikes. 100% due to no training, and the training that is provided is rather low quality. @ least the op is trying to find out how to do it. Keep going guys, rather enjoyable so far! Smile

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Aug 27, 2014 03:08 PM
DSGBicycles Offline

Again, I don't know what kind of shifter it is or I would have just looked up the manufacturer instructions for how to change the cable instead of creating an account for this website cny... I'm at work and do not have a way to take pictures. The lever is very basic in design though; I was already fairly sure that the problem was that the head of the derailleur cable was wedged in too tight, and just wanted to confirm what I thought, which Dave did.

You are right Painkiller, the training here was very subpar :/
Aug 28, 2014 08:11 AM
painkiller Offline
Veteran Member

Peoria, IL. USA
If you could get a pic, I could tell you what to do. but if the cable is a normal shift cable like used on mtb and road sti type shifters. dis connect the cable move up to the front housing cut the cable about an inch longer than the housing, making sure the housing is in the shifter, lock cable in a drill (leave small gap), grab housing firm and just pop the drill trigger quickly rev and forward til it pops loose. be careful, it will windup

There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Aug 28, 2014 02:04 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Convert down tube shifter to STI shifters with Campag 980 6 x 2 speed JoeHigh 6 822 Sep 8, 2014 01:36 PM
Last Post: nfmisso
  Stuck gear shift on Next womens 18 speed robynfla133 1 1,190 May 11, 2014 08:41 AM
  7 speed block limey 8 1,723 Jan 15, 2014 06:13 AM
Last Post: limey
  Alternative to a Shimano Alivio M410 7-8 Speed rear derailleur? Porridge 6 5,523 Nov 26, 2013 12:47 PM
  8-speed shifter and derailleur with 7-speed sprocket? smmr89 8 4,359 Nov 3, 2013 01:18 AM
Last Post: 1FJEF
  Internal 7 speed Sram Spectro s7 hub rokisr 2 3,879 Sep 12, 2013 04:50 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  6 rear gear with 14 speed shifter ??? hero1900 8 3,833 Oct 9, 2012 01:04 AM
Last Post: xerxes
  Shimano 105 derailer fit new 7 speed cassette? crashq 7 7,008 Aug 15, 2012 08:40 AM
Last Post: Joe_W
  Single speed to 12 speed mynameisamyw 6 4,998 Jun 5, 2012 04:30 PM
Last Post: xerxes
  Shimano 9-speed rsx shifters daveyp53 3 4,546 Jan 31, 2012 10:03 AM
Last Post: RBurrelli