Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Thickslick tires
helllo, has anyone had Thickslick tires?
i have them 700x28 on my fixie, and they are causing me a lot of headache with constant punctures :/

could it be though that inner tubes are at fault or are these tires just puncture-prone? it's not front or rear, but both.
or should i just pay more attention to tires, check for any sharp pieces of rock or glass that might have stuck inside the tire?
(08-30-2019, 01:00 PM)wwwalterrr Wrote:  helllo, has anyone had Thickslick tires?
i have them 700x28 on my fixie, and they are causing me a lot of headache with constant punctures :/

could it be though that inner tubes are at fault or are these tires just puncture-prone? it's not front or rear, but both.
or should i just pay more attention to tires, check for any sharp pieces of rock or glass that might have stuck inside the tire?

what tubes do you use?
I use Continental Contact Speed.

They have incredible rolling resistance and PolyBreaker X technology that makes them tough as nails.
(05-19-2021, 09:47 AM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  I use Continental Contact Speed.

They have incredible rolling resistance and PolyBreaker X technology that makes them tough as nails.

Thanks for the tip!

I will be switching tires soon; will consider these
(08-30-2019, 01:00 PM)wwwalterrr Wrote:  helllo, has anyone had Thickslick tires?

Please take into consideration the terrain you are primarily riding. I regularly have to inspect my tires after some rides due the the natural hazards I face on the paved trails with the road tires I use. Florida=sharp coquina shards. I have used various "puncture resistant" tires and I have had about the same results with them all regarding flats. Always hard to determine if the tire is an issue with so many variables during riding. You should certainly start out with some new tubes, and inspect rims and tires for any issues that may cause premature failure. Are the tube punctures always on the same area of the tube's surface? Have you physically seen cuts/punctures in the tires that match up to the tube damage? I ride high pressure tires (+110 psi) and I have developed tiny tube holes on the rim side of the tube as opposed to the tire side which was caused by the tube pushing into the spoke hole even with rim tape in place; but the rim tape was not substantial enough to support the pressure. I had to get "high pressure" (thicker plastic banding, not cloth or stretchy like some tapes) rim tape which I now use it on most everything just to avoid anymore problems related to that particular issue. I think the cloth tape is best at pressures below 100 psi.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Please excuse me, I was mistaken on the technology that the Contact Speed use; it's actually SafetySystem, which involves a layer of kevlar to protect from punctures and the sort, and add additional durability.

Gatorskin are the ones with PolyXBreaker, and also have DuraSkin. These are of course the other great option, although I think they tend to be more expensive, and that might be why I didn't mention them before as I assumed you were on a budget and the two tires are incredibly close in other respects (only 1 watt rolling resistance and 13 points puncture protection difference). And that is at 120psi on the Gatorskin vs 75psi on the Contact Speed (previously Contact Sport II).

I have used Thickslick tires on my Fiji SSt 1.0 and wore out the rear tire twice with a single flat tire, a Sheetrock screw picked up by a rear tire. I used a tube patch on the inside of the Sheetrock screw hole, and finished 6,000 miles on that rear tire. We have Goat Heads everywhere in the southwest here in the states, and the Thick rubber casing of this tire is the reason I tried and used the Freedom Thickslick tires. I eventually went to a lighter continental tire and I change them more often as I enjoy riding my bicycle, not changing flat tires during a bicycle ride.

I do have a habit of washing my tires with a damp/wet paper towel after each bicycle ride, and inspect the tires before bringing the bicycle I have used that day into my apartment. I have found cuts, embedded glass, goat heads or steel bits in the tread & sidewalls during this inspection. Cleaning the filthy black residue from the street off the bicycle tires before entering the apartment also keep the lady I admire much happier.

Yes, I have changed and tossed a bicycle tire immediately after that cleaning & inspection routine I have established...

JR
I am about to try out the Pirelli P7 Sport 32c.

For a budget tire, it looks very promising.