Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Gear shift/derailleur problems
Hi, I recently got a new 24 speed and already I'm having some gear shift problems. When I change gear on the right gear shifter from, say, 5 to 4, or 4 to 3 the chain may shift but then slips back to previous gear all by itself. When this happens I hear a sound from the rear shifter/derailleur of a mechanical 'slipping' type. I had a similar problem, though admittedly worse, with my previous second hand bike which got worse and worse and resulted in the derailleur breaking off finally. Nearly had a nasty accident, I realize now after watching your vid on 'how to shift your gears' that the problem with my new bike only occurred after changing gears with a lot of pressure on the chain when going up hill. Anything I can do to correct the shift problems and how do I know my derailleur isn't damaged etc.?

Could be a derailleur hanger alignment issue, which requires removal of the derailleur and a special tool to correct. If you can, take it down to your local bike shop for a quick (and likely free) assessment. If it's bent it shouldn't cost too much for them to straighten. I'll do a video on this procedure at some point.

<hr />

Update: Got a hanger alignment video done:
http://bikeride.com/derailleur-hanger-alignment/
Thanks! I think I will take it to my local shop and see if they can sort it, especially as now I'm getting 'ghost shifting' problems too. which is kind of not pleasant when you're cycling full pelt!

Possibly Related Threads...