Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

BMX most important bike parts
Hey. My son has been asking for BMX for quite some time and it is time for me to deliver.
There is possibility that he will get into doing tricks or jumps in the near future. He watches those pro videos often. I have never owned a BMX and have no knowledge about them, which has led me here.

Anyone here knows what are the most important bike parts to look at when buying BMx? Explaining that in other words, what should I pay attention to when choosing one? Wheels and hubs should be durable and strong, right? Anything else?
(09-07-2019, 08:01 AM)very hangry Wrote:  Hey. My son has been asking for BMX for quite some time and it is time for me to deliver.
There is possibility that he will get into doing tricks or jumps in the near future. He watches those pro videos often. I have never owned a BMX and have no knowledge about them, which has led me here.

Anyone here knows what are the most important bike parts to look at when buying BMx? Explaining that in other words, what should I pay attention to when choosing one? Wheels and hubs should be durable and strong, right? Anything else?

Good day.
I once read through this and this guide for buying BMX. How old is he? Kids bikes are not designed for crazy jumps. If he really gets into BMXing then you'll have to consider upgrading the bike soon, and then I'd spend some time researching the bike parts etc But with the first BMX bike .. it has to be easy & handy .. the frame geometry, the handlebar, grips, simple. That's my point of view
(10-05-2019, 03:03 PM)Benjo Wrote:  Good day.
I once read through this and this guide for buying BMX. How old is he? Kids bikes are not designed for crazy jumps. If he really gets into BMXing then you'll have to consider upgrading the bike soon, and then I'd spend some time researching the bike parts etc But with the first BMX bike .. it has to be easy & handy .. the frame geometry, the handlebar, grips, simple. That's my point of view

He's few weeks short of 9 years. Thank you very much for the links, they will be helpful with decision-making. He can use this bike for 2-3 years just biking around. We will upgrade after if that is really necessary at that point. Thanks, have a nice day whenever you are reading this!
(09-07-2019, 08:01 AM)very hangry Wrote:  Hey. My son has been asking for BMX for quite some time and it is time for me to deliver.

Any bike should be fine. You could even get him a Walmart brand bike of any kind. Mongoose and Hyper both make decent bikes for this.

Anything from the local bike shop will simply add style points.

At his age and experience, any technical details won't matter much.

When I was his age, I rode a chrome Redline with the stock hard white plastic seat, and grueling triple trap pedals (hard to ride barefoot). Classic 44/16 gear ratio. Most I could do was hop off curbs. Can't imagine much changing here.