Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Man steals 159 bike seats
His bike seat was stolen so he wanted others to know how he felt.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/video-japanese-man-steals-159-bicycle-seats-in-epic-quest-for-revenge
If I knew how to ride a bike properly, I'd do it every time.
(10-08-2019, 03:31 PM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  His bike seat was stolen so he wanted others to know how he felt.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/video-japanese-man-steals-159-bicycle-seats-in-epic-quest-for-revenge

that is a peculiar story and an army of saddles! and what if more "saddle theft victims" around the world are doing this? i have seen many bicycles left without the saddle
(10-09-2019, 06:44 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  
(10-08-2019, 03:31 PM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  His bike seat was stolen so he wanted others to know how he felt.

that is a peculiar story and an army of saddles! and what if more "saddle theft victims" around the world are doing this? i have seen many bicycles left without the saddle
I've seen bikes with the front wheels removed to stop thieves riding off with them, and I've seen a couple of bikes without saddles, probably for the same reason. I think the guy who stole all those saddles was missing some grey matter. Thieves are everywhere. Early this year I saw a ghost bike chained to a railing. On my ride home I saw the bike minus its wheels. No respect at all, not even for the dead.
(10-09-2019, 06:55 PM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  Early this year I saw a ghost bike chained to a railing. On my ride home I saw the bike minus its wheels. No respect at all, not even for the dead.

oh gosh, senseless ...
(10-09-2019, 06:55 PM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  I've seen bikes with the front wheels removed to stop thieves riding off with them, and I've seen a couple of bikes without saddles, probably for the same reason. I think the guy who stole all those saddles was missing some grey matter. Thieves are everywhere. Early this year I saw a ghost bike chained to a railing. On my ride home I saw the bike minus its wheels. No respect at all, not even for the dead.

the other day my eldest showed this profile on instagram where someone posts forgotten/ghost bicycles from the city streets, some of them obviously had parts stolen over time. it might have been in NYC, have to ask him again to look it up, so that I can share here.
(10-18-2019, 06:24 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  
(10-09-2019, 06:55 PM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  I've seen bikes with the front wheels removed to stop thieves riding off with them, and I've seen a couple of bikes without saddles, probably for the same reason. I think the guy who stole all those saddles was missing some grey matter. Thieves are everywhere. Early this year I saw a ghost bike chained to a railing. On my ride home I saw the bike minus its wheels. No respect at all, not even for the dead.

the other day my eldest showed this profile on instagram where someone posts forgotten/ghost bicycles from the city streets, some of them obviously had parts stolen over time. it might have been in NYC, have to ask him again to look it up, so that I can share here.
There is no honor among thieves, Papa Dom.

Obviously, ghosts bikes are not going to be kept in a place without deteriorating, even if nothing is stolen from them. I think they make their point and after a while perhaps it's time to move on. Around my county I see small signs commemorating places where a cyclist was killed.

In my old hometown in Delaware, there was recently some concern about a missing ghost bike after being chained to a post for two days. Turns out it was the state highway department that took it away because such things must be located at least ten feet from the highway, and this was only a couple of feet away. They said the bike can be placed somewhere else if they like to come and pick it up and go by the rules.
(10-19-2019, 04:54 AM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  In my old hometown in Delaware, there was recently some concern about a missing ghost bike after being chained to a post for two days. Turns out it was the state highway department that took it away because such things must be located at least ten feet from the highway, and this was only a couple of feet away. They said the bike can be placed somewhere else if they like to come and pick it up and go by the rules.

that is scrupulous!

here is the phantom bike profile, Philly and not NYC as I initially remembered: https://www.instagram.com/philly_bike_memoriam/
(10-20-2019, 06:30 PM)Papa Dom Wrote:  
(10-19-2019, 04:54 AM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  In my old hometown in Delaware, there was recently some concern about a missing ghost bike after being chained to a post for two days. Turns out it was the state highway department that took it away because such things must be located at least ten feet from the highway, and this was only a couple of feet away. They said the bike can be placed somewhere else if they like to come and pick it up and go by the rules.

that is scrupulous!

here is the phantom bike profile, Philly and not NYC as I initially remembered: https://www.instagram.com/philly_bike_memoriam/
That is just horrible! It shows you really can't leave your bike anywhere out of sight. Occasionally I pop over to Walmart for small items. I'd use the bike rather than take the car, but leaving it outside, no matter how well locked up it is, it will probably have parts removed before I leave the store.

I sometimes take rides ten miles from home. I've stopped in at a McDonalds for coffee, and each time, I remove the pump, light, bike computer and tool kit. I put them all in my helmet and take them inside, but I sit where I can see the bike even though it has a 'U' lock and cable.

Bike thieves are low life. I looked into insurance on both my bikes, but each one was $100 a year.
(10-21-2019, 06:26 AM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  Bike thieves are low life. I looked into insurance on both my bikes, but each one was $100 a year.

oh yes, bike insurances are expensive and targeted mostly at expensive bike owners.

here is another profile dedicated to lost bikes: https://www.instagram.com/youve.been.framed_/
(10-31-2019, 09:20 AM)Papa Dom Wrote:  
(10-21-2019, 06:26 AM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  Bike thieves are low life. I looked into insurance on both my bikes, but each one was $100 a year.

oh yes, bike insurances are expensive and targeted mostly at expensive bike owners.

here is another profile dedicated to lost bikes: https://www.instagram.com/youve.been.framed_/
I've seen several, myself, just frames. It makes me want to see the thieves get hurt.

I can't upload to Instagram because photos can't be uploaded from a PC, and I don't use a phone.
(10-31-2019, 01:17 PM)CharleyFarley Wrote:  I've seen several, myself, just frames. It makes me want to see the thieves get hurt.

I can't upload to Instagram because photos can't be uploaded from a PC, and I don't use a phone.

well you also won't find me on Instagram but I tend to look at some profiles that are interesting. my eldest does actively use it and often shows funny photos/profiles. another profile from the subject:

https://www.instagram.com/derelictcycle/