Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Can you recommend good road-style brake pads?
I have a Schwinn Traveler III 10 speed bike the I purchased new in the late 70's. It still has the original brake pads on it and I'm thinking about replacing them. Alex- I ran into your site trying to figure out how to adjust derailleurs. After finding your excellent site, I think I can do it now. I do have a question on another issue. I have a Schwinn Traveler III 10 speed bike that I purchased new in the late 70's. It still has the original brake pads on it (I haven't rode it since my college days back in the mid 80's!) and I'm thinking about replacing them. I was wondering what pad would be the best for a replacement? I'm not a serious bike rider, so it doesn't have to be a top notch pad. I just want a good all around pad for the bike. Could you be very specific on the pad (model #, etc.)?
Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,
Nice to hear you're able to work on your own bike! As for brake pads, there are many brands that work well, like these Tektro pads</a>.
And there's a bunch more options here.
G'day
From what I can gather with riders here in various Australian forums is that Kool Stops and in particular Kool Stops Salmons are the way to go. The stop well, wear well and do not mark your rims.
My next set of pads will be Kool Stops.
Regards<br />
Andrew

Aushiker.com
@Aushiker on Twitter

A broken clock is correct twice a day
I read somewhere that if they still have grooves and are not worn too much, just gouge out any embedded debris and sandpaper them, reinstall and enjoy.Worked for me.

Hi Chris,
I use Kool Stop Salmon pads. They do wear a bit quicker than most but they have very good stopping power and won't wear your rims as much.
For your bike though I think it would be best to find what style of pads you have that will fit your brake calipers. My suggestion would be to take the pads off and go to your favourite bike store for suitable replacements. That way you'll get the correct ones.
Regular brake checks for me is to remove the wheel and visually inspect the pad surface for grit or foreign substances and keep the pad surface clean.
Regards
Rick.

(07-19-2008, 07:13 PM)Guest Wrote:  I have a Schwinn Traveler III 10 speed bike the I purchased new in the late 70's. It still has the original brake pads on it and I'm thinking about replacing them. Alex- I ran into your site trying to figure out how to adjust derailleurs. After finding your excellent site, I think I can do it now. I do have a question on another issue. I have a Schwinn Traveler III 10 speed bike that I purchased new in the late 70's. It still has the original brake pads on it (I haven't rode it since my college days back in the mid 80's!) and I'm thinking about replacing them. I was wondering what pad would be the best for a replacement? I'm not a serious bike rider, so it doesn't have to be a top notch pad. I just want a good all around pad for the bike. Could you be very specific on the pad (model #, etc.)?
Thanks, Chris

I use Kool Stop Salmon pads they are the best I have ever use they will stop you even if they are wet on the rims it just takes a little longer but not much.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
(12-21-2009, 04:34 PM)KDC1956 Wrote:  
(07-19-2008, 07:13 PM)Guest Wrote:  I have a Schwinn Traveler III 10 speed bike the I purchased new in the late 70's. It still has the original brake pads on it and I'm thinking about replacing them. Alex- I ran into your site trying to figure out how to adjust derailleurs. After finding your excellent site, I think I can do it now. I do have a question on another issue. I have a Schwinn Traveler III 10 speed bike that I purchased new in the late 70's. It still has the original brake pads on it (I haven't rode it since my college days back in the mid 80's!) and I'm thinking about replacing them. I was wondering what pad would be the best for a replacement? I'm not a serious bike rider, so it doesn't have to be a top notch pad. I just want a good all around pad for the bike. Could you be very specific on the pad (model #, etc.)?
Thanks, Chris

I use Kool Stop Salmon pads they are the best I have ever use they will stop you even if they are wet on the rims it just takes a little longer but not much.

Sorta like antilock brakes on a vehicle. That sounds cool.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I have Koolstop pads on my road bike, they are ok (Shimano 105).
On my cyclocross I recently installed BBB Cross Stop BBS-11T. On icy roads they are... hm. I have not tested them under normal cyclocross conditions (Mafac center pull brakes).
Can anybody recommend rim brake pads for icy conditions?
Joe ,
How about using ammonia on the brake pads? I read this, but I probably use something else to keep it in lol here ya go..

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-1177.html
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
@ltl56 - sanding the pads is a good idea to clean up the surface or take off a litle bit of hardened rubber. But if these pads are really 30+ years old, they should be replaced, they will have hardened all the way through.
I'd check tires and cable housing too. Anything rubber/plastic can give out after sitting that long. Congrats on getting back out there!
(08-03-2008, 08:16 AM)Aushiker Wrote:  G'day
From what I can gather with riders here in various Australian forums is that Kool Stops and in particular Kool Stops Salmons are the way to go. The stop well, wear well and do not mark your rims.
My next set of pads will be Kool Stops.
Regards<br />
Andrew

+1 for the kool stops Salmon I have them and will not use any others at all they stop you well and do not mark up your rims.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Do the Kool Stop Salmons work well for wet/dirty/muddy mountain bike? My pads are old, hardened and need to be replaced.
(04-11-2010, 12:06 AM)Sequoiasoon Wrote:  Do the Kool Stop Salmons work well for wet/dirty/muddy mountain bike? My pads are old, hardened and need to be replaced.

Personally I have not used them, but many here have had really good results. I just have not ran out of stock of the ones I ordered a couple months back, if I knew about them then I would have ordered them instead.
KoolStop salmon are designed for use in wet weather. For use under MTB conditions I'd probably try the multi compound pads, the have a portion that is supposed to clean away some of the sludge. The ones by BBB (on my winter / cyclocross bike) are not that great under icy conditions, but then I don't really know what is, have not yet tried KoolStop under those conditions yet (they didn't have them stocked when I had to replace the pads). The softer wet-weather compounds wear faster than the harder compounds, so check regularly.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-26-2020, 07:41 AM
Last Post: DoctorGonzo

10-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

10-14-2012, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Bill