Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Bafang Warranty & Back Up
Been looking on YouTube and there’s a fair few videos on there of people either upgrading their bikes with BBSHD motors or building the frames that take mid mount motors.

I know that a known ebike brand will have a Yamaha, Bosch or even a Brose motor, for me Yamaha and Bosch need no introduction and even I recognise Brose as they make all the electric window & sunroof motors for motor vehicles.

Bafang though are a Chinese brand, I’ve never heard of them but they seem to be a popular motor to fit, but then when you try and search for spares or distributors for them you don’t really get any real information, I wouldn’t want to fit a Bafang motor to have problems further down the line and then not be able to obtain spare parts or replacement any warranty

Anyone have any experience of Bafang motors ?
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-
(10-26-2019, 02:15 PM)surreypete Wrote:  Been looking on YouTube and there’s a fair few videos on there of people either upgrading their bikes with BBSHD motors or building the frames that take mid mount motors.

I know that a known ebike brand will have a Yamaha, Bosch or even a Brose motor, for me Yamaha and Bosch need no introduction and even I recognise Brose as they make all the electric window & sunroof motors for motor vehicles.

Bafang though are a Chinese brand, I’ve never heard of them but they seem to be a popular motor to fit, but then when you try and search for spares or distributors for them you don’t really get any real information, I wouldn’t want to fit a Bafang motor to have problems further down the line and then not be able to obtain spare parts or replacement any warranty

Anyone have any experience of Bafang motors ?

Unfortunately no experience, I havecome face to face only with Bosch motors. But what random information I know from university (long story. I was searching for project topics for innovation studies) is that Bafang have offices in Holland and Germany.

article from my notes: https://www.bike-eu.com/home/nieuws/2016/08/bafang-provides-dealers-with-service-tool-10127431?
Yes, it's a Chinese brand and popular for mid-motor. I visited the office in Holland due to some b2b cooperation. Also, they will attend the Eurobike exhibition each year as I know.
Focused on eBike LCD Display & Speed Sensor scope.
If you research e-bikes, especially at the lower-price end of the market, you'll find a LOT of Bafang hub motors. The brand is nowhere near as well-known in the West as Bosch but that might change in the coming years.

If you look on AliExpress, you'll see a huge amount of Bafang stuff, including spare parts. However, that's nowhere near as convenient as being able to pop into your LBS to get a part.

The other thing is that it's often the motor controller that dies, typically because of heat or wiring problems. If you like to zip around at max throttle, especially if you use a hack to up the power/speed, it's the controller that is likely to fry. Being a speed demon can also overheat the motor.

Finally, it looks like you're in the UK. Make sure you're aware of e-bike law in the UK.