Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Hercules "Roadster" '54/'55
My Hercules cruiser for slow/hot days and casual cycling.    
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
What are those extra "horns" under handlebar? Sorry, I am not very familiar with old-school bikes Undecided
(12-04-2019, 10:49 AM)bibimbap Wrote:  What are those extra "horns" under handlebar? Sorry, I am not very familiar with old-school bikes Undecided

Hello "bibi",

Those are the brake levers ("L" shaped) which are connected to the rod linkages. I'll try to give you a better view of the configuration. Although this is a very early style of braking system, they were still being utilized into the '80s; maybe even used today on modern "retro" bicycles.

Take care,
Jesper

Attached Files Image(s)

Take care,
Jesper

(12-04-2019, 12:31 PM)Jesper Wrote:  Those are the brake levers ("L" shaped) which are connected to the rod linkages. I'll try to give you a better view of the configuration. Although this is a very early style of braking system, they were still being utilized into the '80s; maybe even used today on modern "retro" bicycles.

Have seen those on one of my neighbours bikes. I'll try to get a photo or couple of his handlebar as well to have comparison.

p.s. sweet ride! is that the original saddle?
Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
(12-15-2019, 06:50 PM)Zviedrs Wrote:  Have seen those on one of my neighbours bikes. I'll try to get a photo or couple of his handlebar as well to have comparison.

p.s. sweet ride! is that the original saddle?

Hi Zviedrs,

That is the original saddle. I have since removed it because it broke near the nose. It's repairable, but I've got another similar "hairpin" style, or a Brooks saddle for replacement. You can get new stuff for Hercules bikes because they've been manufactured in India for a long time and still used the older designs similar to this frame/components with Hercules "badging". The saddles are only about $40-$50 new, and look/function just fine.

Take care,
Jesper
Take care,
Jesper

(12-15-2019, 06:50 PM)Zviedrs Wrote:  
(12-04-2019, 12:31 PM)Jesper Wrote:  Those are the brake levers ("L" shaped) which are connected to the rod linkages. I'll try to give you a better view of the configuration. Although this is a very early style of braking system, they were still being utilized into the '80s; maybe even used today on modern "retro" bicycles.

Have seen those on one of my neighbours bikes. I'll try to get a photo or couple of his handlebar as well to have comparison.

Ah, levers on my neighbours Bianchi ride are much different, my bad. Yet it's still an interesting piece, here are couple photos of it.

Merida Scultura 5000 (2015)
Merida Big Nine 400 (2019)
Wow, Jesper. Thanks for bringing me back to my childhood. These old bikes were built to last. The only things that ever broke or needed repair were the tires. And, this is the 80s, 90s and early 2000s of India. The road conditions weren't great but people used these to commute from far away places to cities and back. That was on a daily basis and these bikes had no gears.

And, I loved those old seats with suspension/rings.

During my trip to India, I will see if I can get my hands on some of the older Hercules and Enfields. If I find any, I will share pictures.

Thanks again..:-)

(12-04-2019, 12:31 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(12-04-2019, 10:49 AM)bibimbap Wrote:  What are those extra "horns" under handlebar? Sorry, I am not very familiar with old-school bikes Undecided

Hello "bibi",

Those are the brake levers ("L" shaped) which are connected to the rod linkages. I'll try to give you a better view of the configuration. Although this is a very early style of braking system, they were still being utilized into the '80s; maybe even used today on modern "retro" bicycles.

Take care,
Jesper
(06-21-2023, 02:07 PM)GirishH Wrote:  Wow, Jesper. Thanks for bringing me back to my childhood. These old bikes were built to last. The only things that ever broke or needed repair were the tires. And, this is the 80s, 90s and early 2000s of India. The road conditions weren't great but people used these to commute from far away places to cities and back. That was on a daily basis and these bikes had no gears.

And, I loved those old seats with suspension/rings.

During my trip to India, I will see if I can get my hands on some of the older Hercules and Enfields. If I find any, I will share pictures.

Thanks again..:-)

Also check for Phillips marque as they were another TI/Raleigh company that I believe either manufactured bikes in India or had many imported to the country.
Take care,
Jesper