Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Campy locknut broke. Help!!
Hi all,

I am hoping I can get help on this one. I was re-lubing my front hub, and finishing up, putting on the locknut and the darn thing broke. The locknut is in 2 pieces. I don't know how that happened, but it did.

Anyway my question is 1) Does anyone know where to get another Campy front hub locknut? I have tried JensonUSA and some place in Chicago called Ochsen, or something. Both places have it out of stock.

2) Can I use another one? I went to the bike store and they had Shimano, but it was a little bigger than the Campy. Am going back today to see if they have other sizes. But am not hopeful.

3) What about one from the hardware store, if I can find one that is about the same size?

If none of these works out, that means I have to get a new wheel then??
A new / different locknut should not cause problems, as long as the threads are the same, I don't know whether Campa and Shimano have the same axle threads, but I'd guess so (if you can bear the thought of using Japaneese stuff on your bike Wink ). Also note that if it has a different width you'll have to play around with spacers to get the wheel in the centre between the locknuts again.
The replacement locknut I got(from Shimano) the hole is actually bigger, so it slides around on the threads. It's not the same size. I am hoping they make a same size one. If not I am not sure what to do.

I don't mind having Japanese or anything else on my bike as long as I can get a locknut on there. Smile
Here is a link with the thread sizes: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/axles.html

In a quick search I didn't see much of anything for locknuts. But you might be able to get a full axle set.

I thought the Campy partisans were always talking about how "you can rebuild Campy stuff!" Not without parts...
Well, and they are mostly talking about the shifters (at least thats what I remember).
Instead of an axle set you might also just get a lower end Campa front hub and use one of those locknuts.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

05-09-2023, 08:07 AM
Last Post: ichitan

01-04-2016, 07:57 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

09-13-2015, 05:51 PM
Last Post: lapka