Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Problem with first wheel build
Hi all,

I haven't seen this question come up, I hope I don't seem too much like a "n00b".

So, I've manged to lace the wheel (a front, cheap 26", to practice).

I'm pretty sure it came out the way it should, following Sheldon's article. the problem is that even when i try to put the initial tension to the spokes, the pattern is two adjacent spokes (on the rim, not from the same flange) very tense, followed by two very loose ones.

Now, the logical way to handle this seems to be to relieve the tense ones, and then tighten the loose ones, but the threads on the tense ones are mostly showing (5-6 rounds ie: almost all the way out), and of course, on the loose ones the spokes are almost sticking out of the nipples (into the wheel)

I know it's recommended not to reuse hubs and spokes for the obvious reasons that they already warped and wore away at certain angles, but if the problem has a repetitive pattern , doesn't it mean I did something right?

Thanks in advance and a personal thank you to Alex, for inheriting the title of the internet's foremost expert in bike knowledge and advice.

Kuba in Jerusalem

p.s. Sorry if the description is too long winded if this is a common problem. English and bikeish are not my mother tongue.
Kuba,
Here is a set of videos that may help.:-
http://www.ehow.com/video_2363029_tools-building-bicycle-wheel.html

Go through them and see if there are any hints to what may be wrong.
When I built my first wheel I copied the spoking from another wheel.
There is nothing wrong with re-using old parts, especially for practicing.
I would assume, with it being a front wheel that all the spokes are the same length.
Slacken off all the nipples and start again.
Screw each nipple in the same amount and gradually work your way around the rim a bit at a time.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Just wanted to add there are no "n00bs" here. We are pros in training! Wink Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
First thing that comes to my mind: Do all spokes have the same length? Though the pattern would most likely not be regular then.

Second thing: When reusing spokes, make sure that you remember which spokes were "inside" and which were "outside". Also, when reusing a hub you should lace it the same way as before.

Third: Check the spoke pattern and try to see, whether the spokes go into the correct hole in the rim.

I can also recommend the book by Roger Musson http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php . It is inexpensive and as a registered buyer you get free electronic updates when available.
All the spokes have the same length, as it is a front wheel, and I didn't take them out of the flange, so those that came from the inside stayed on the inside and those from the outside stayed there.

the lacing pattern seems good- otherwise i wouldn't have seen the pattern of the problem.

guess I'll try some more...
Did you lace them correctly, that is are the crosses correct and also which spoke goes under / over which other spoke? If you do something wrong there, it can cause those problems.

Just putting in a new rim and reusing the spokes and hub is a good way to start building, I'd say that hubs and spokes last much longer than rims (ok, also depends on the abuse the rims have to take...).
(12-15-2009, 11:30 PM)Bill Wrote:  Just wanted to add there are no "n00bs" here. We are pros in training! Wink Smile

Pros in training huh lol well I had a good laugh at this one. Maybe some of you are pros but I'm sure not lol. Hate to think what my wife calls me at times around here. But it is a nice thought.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post
Sad
09-10-2020, 02:28 AM
Last Post: Jesper

07-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Last Post: nfmisso

03-24-2014, 08:44 AM