Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Best Bicycle Computer?
I am wandering what the best bicycle computer would be based on the following:

Most accurate in the programming (i.e Speed, Miles,etc)
Lowest Price
Battery Life
Weather Proof (Getting Wet, Cold Temps)
Display (How visible it is in both daytime and night)
Ease of use ( How easy it is to use)
Durability ( If it gets dropped)

Any suggestion would be helpful, Thanks

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I prefer the Cateye brand. I've been using one similar to the Cateye CC-VL510 for several years and it just keeps going. It's accurate so long as you set up the wheel calculation correctly (I like to manually measure the wheel diameter instead of using the chart that comes with it). Prices are reasonable, water resistant (I've used it a lot in rain), visible day and night (backlight button), very easy to use and durable (I'm a clutz and have dropped it several times).
I use the cateye miro computer wireless and it has been good you can get it at amazon.com
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Cateye does seem to be a good brand, if not best on the market for reasonable price. Alex that is a pretty cool one you use, simple functions yet will not die on you in the middle of a trip. I bought the Strada Wireless from ebay and got screwed because there were no instructions and all the pieces were not there. But they have pretty decent rating.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I have a CatEye Strada Cadence (wired), easy to set up, easy to use also with gloves since there is only one button. The instruction manuals are available on the CatEye homepage just get it from there.
I use KENETIC wireless and cadence. has everything u need, power altitude, lap, backlight, heartrate simple to use waterproof the lot, comes in at about 130 euro on chainreactioncycles.com
I have been using the Cateye Enduro ccst 250 for a long time. Works good no problems.

For my motorcycle I use the Sigma Sport BC800 with the rear cable kit for longer length needed. When set up by carefully measuring the wheel its very accurate up to over 100MPH as confirmed by my GPS. :-)) Very durable.

The only downside is when battery runs down you need to reset the functions.
Never Give Up!!!
Hi there,

I have a Garmin 705 but sometimes I am taking my iPhone for casual rides. Yesterday I took my Garmin and the iPhone to compare the results in terms of avg speed, distance etc. The bike computer I was using on the iPhone was delibike ( http://www.delibike.com ), a nice app to keep track of all trip related data. I uploaded the GPX files to Everytrail and compared with the Garmin data - surprisingly similar data, I was kind of stunned as I expected the iPhone to perform much worse. Have you guys tried other apps on the iPhone? I have tried MotionGPS and about 5 others, but this delibike app was definitely the best. Any other apps you can recommend?

Thanks,

Molly
On my CatEye strada the little plastic nipple that holds the computer in place broke after removing the computer three or four times. Might have been the temperature (-10°C) or sloppy engineering. On the other bike it seems to hold at the moment, though.
Thru many rears of mountain bike racing and now mostly commuting and some single track use, I have been thru many computers over the years. I gave up on any type of wireless. Maybe I'm just not lucky enough, but I have used Cateye, Specialized, and Sigma. Over the years my favorite and most cost efficient bomb-proof computer has been a "wired" Specialized Speedzone Comp computer. I still have the original Speedzone Comp but I just got my wife the new version, called the Speedzone Sport, and its still a great computer, pretty indestructible, reliable, and easy to use with only 2 buttons to master. Just my .02 cents. Smile

Oh, yeah forgot to add, its got no light or backlight though. The Specialized computers I have had never say waterproof or anything, but I have run them thru some pretty nasty stuff and they just keep going.
I just got the Garmin Edge 500 for My birthday. You guys, this thing is so COOL!!! I am a data junkie so the many different data options are insane. I love it and highly recommend it. Don't pay retail for it though. It's listed at 349.99 for the full package, I got it for 279 brand new from a power seller on eBay.
Haven't really said anything on this post, will say thanks for all past, current, and future input. I have a CatEye RD300W which is pretty nice for daytime. No wires. Seems pretty accurate. All I will say on that note.

I also have a SunDing wireless computer it has 14 functions seems closely accurate. Only reason I have this one it cost me like 3.00USD free ship, so I was like I will try it.

Wireless is nice but I think the wired ones are more accurate. And to note I took two different CatEye Comps and I could use either sensor with either comp! Same transmit frequency!!! The major problem with most Computers is that they do not offer some sort of back lighting option for night riding.

Those who have the GPS Devices well those are the "Flagships" of the fleet lol. Very nice and congrats!
I also use the Sigma 800 (no longer available) on motorcycle and racing kart. Yes, the Sigma 800 resets when the battery is replaced. I write the circumference of my wheel on the back of the computer with a Sharpie. To measure circumference I paint a dot of "white out" on my tread, ride in a straight line, then measure the distance from center to center of the dots. Works great and includes the effect your weight has on diameter.
lol i ordered a computer for a dollar from hong kong, just out of morbid curiosity... and hey, it works!
(05-30-2010, 06:03 AM)ou2mame Wrote:  lol i ordered a computer for a dollar from hong kong, just out of morbid curiosity....and hey, it works!

Just hope it uses the flat type battery because the ones that use the oval 12v 23a ones cost a mint to replace on the transmitter!
For a dollar I hope it has a replaceable battery, lol. Just kidding, does it have a brand or anything? What are the features? Do tell, or at least post some pics. Smile
Most, if not all, computers are waterproof. They are all accurate as long as you input the correct tire diameter.
I've had various cheapo computers over the years and all have worked reliably - up to a point.
The main problem seems to be the electrical connection to the handlebar mount. The contacts tarnish and have to be cleaned now and again.
I have, a couple of years ago, started using Sigmas and these have been very reliable with no tarnishing problems at all.
The only drawback is the programming as it's slightly different to my old ones.
I have to refer to the instructions every time I want to make a change.
I have 2 different Sigmas - BC1100 Team & a BC1600.
One advantage is they both automatically count when setting off, whereas a couple of my old ones need a button pressing or the odometer doesn't go.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(05-30-2010, 08:20 AM)goirish Wrote:  For a dollar I hope it has a replaceable battery, lol. Just kidding, does it have a brand or anything? What are the features? Do tell, or at least post some pics. Smile

The one I was referring to is the SunDing. The tx (wireless piece that mounts to the fork) has this battery http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_7?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=12v+23a+battery&x=0&y=0&sprefix=12v+23a and well i guess it is not all that bad but more then the unit itself!
<b>BELL F20</b>

I just tested the Bell F20 which has a multitude of functions and I do like it. The only problem is that is prone to overheating from a very hot day. States right in the little book that comes with it. Other then that it's Temperature readout is fairly right on. The other thing that many may see as a downside is that it is wired. To me that is a good thing because I would rather route a wire then replace an extra battery, and get interference from a rider that has the same kind of Computer on the same wireless frequency. Yes I know they have came out with new ones that use a different kind of frequency setup.
Regarding wired / wireless... A website (bicycle-components.de) I order lots of stuff from states clearly for (I think Sigma) wireless computers that there is a strong station close to Frankfurt that interferes with the operation of these wireless computers. So, like Bill, I prefer wired, even if this makes the frame look cluttered. I thought about using wide electrical tape and (thus attaining a go faster stripe) to cover the cable but I'm not sure how well this will hold up to weather and such.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-25-2014, 05:37 AM
Last Post: sunflower

06-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Last Post: Billy