Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Adult Tricycle
Bill: I just got a tricycle to walk (run) my 11 months old Westie. He is very active and I can't run as much as he needs it. So got the tricycle... old chinese tricycle. The back brakes dont work and it has only one speed. I would like to ask you... could I change it into a 3 speeds or.....? and is there any video or book that will help me to overhaul the brakes? I found some for Bikes...but not for Tricycles.
Any help will be appreciated.
(10-31-2011, 10:22 PM)Will Nanyu Wrote:  Bill: I just got a tricycle to walk (run) my 11 months old Westie. He is very active and I can't run as much as he needs it. So got the tricycle... old chinese tricycle. The back brakes dont work and it has only one speed. I would like to ask you... could I change it into a 3 speeds or.....? and is there any video or book that will help me to overhaul the brakes? I found some for Bikes...but not for Tricycles.
Any help will be appreciated.

Sorry for not getting back to you in a long while. Anyways I really have to see some pictures in order to suggest anything to you. That is if you can.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Been some time for this but it is time for s couple upgrades Big Grin (evil grin) . I am gonna make some mods and found it can be done, multi-speed Schwinn Meridian! Here is how I will go about it with some minor changes of course.... http://www.sevesteen.com/2008/10/converting-schwinn-meridian-to-multi.html . This will be over the winter of course.

In the course of this he does mention that the Axle is not long enough for room to do much of anything. I thought what is the axle could be longer like he states. Also have to look at the assembly of the whole gearing/brake apparatus maybe to reduce it for more room for higher speed freewheel.
Adding a double or triple crankset is an option, just will take a little metal fabrication to make a suitable custom bracket for the FD.
Something else I was conjuring up in my mind was to find a MTB front shock fork and see how that looks.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(11-17-2009, 09:08 AM)Bill Wrote:  Reason I like this is I can take my Black lab with me, sometimes she pulls the weight of it and myself.

I just purchased a used 3-speed adult trike a couple of weeks ago to use for taking 2 large-ish dogs (Alaskan Malamute/German Shepherd-X and a blck Lab) for their daily romps around the countryside.

I had been using a 2-wheeled MTB for the past 16 years with my previous dogs but these two are new to the game.

I was finding it a bit dicey when riding on the sloping gravel road shoulders when there was any ice and snow accumulation so I thought that a trike would make things a bit safer.

I just lashed their Y- leash ( two leads in one with a piece of 3/4" PVC conduit for a handle) to the handlebar stem using a short length of 12 mm braided nylon rope.

When we're on road where there's a lot of traffic, I hang on to the handle on the short lead so that the two dogs run alongside of me.

When we're on a quiet side road with little or no traffic, I let go of the short lead and let them out in front to pull me along and we fly!

I made some step-in harnesses for them from thick, 1" wide nylon automotive tow strap. I found that the webbing used by store-bought harnesses was too thin and tended to bunch-up and was concerned it might hurt the mutts.

It was so much fun flying along effortlessly that I felt like a little kid (I'm 60 yrs old) who was playing hooky on a school day and getting away with something that he wasn't supposed to be doing.

And boy was I pleasantly surprised when the officer in a police cruiser gave us a nod and friendly wave as he passed by going in the opposite direction (instead of chastising us for being on the wrong side of the road (ie on the shoulder facing oncoming traffic. )

And motorists seem to give us a wider berth than they did when I was on a 2-wheeled bike with the dogs -- also a surprise since the 2-wheeled arrangement was far more unwieldy and more prone to stray into traffic.

About the only downside is that , as one acquaintance mentioned "You're really easy to track. " (trike tire tracks in the snow -- not as anonymous as bike tracks)

Oh, I almost neglected to mention that the vendor only wanted five dollars for the trike. I had assumed that it was a typo but was willing to pay whatever the actual price was (ie $500). But no. All they wanted was $5.
Wow I am impressed Smile . I felt the same way with Zadey when she took off and did the lead ranging from 10mph to 18mph (per cyclometer)! Your quite the man if you can handle two dogs on a two wheeler Wink. Had hard enough time when I transition from 3wheels to 2 haha. It is definitely a different world when you are on a trike and sooo much fun!!
By the way welcome to the forums Smile . What kind of Adult trike do you have? If you have pics you make a post of your very own with your dogs pictured too Smile here ..
http://forums.bikeride.com/forum-36.html .
Also I find your craftsmanship with the leashes very interesting, does it take long to make them?