Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Install Chain
I just put a chain on a mountain bike. I was on a limited budget so I decided to not use the derailer. So it has only one gear now like a BMX bike. The chain/gears (?) was originally slipping. So I decided to just install a new chain and not use the gears. I have installed the chain. I have a question on the slack needed for the chain. It is very tight. Is that OK?
For single speed setups the chain should be tight, but with a just a tiny bit of slack.
(12-28-2009, 06:07 AM)Alex Ramon Wrote:  For single speed setups the chain should be tight, but with a just a tiny bit of slack.

The mountain bike is a 21 speed. I first tried to wrap the chain around the fourth cog and it was way too loose so I wrapped it around the fifth cog and it was way to tight (absolutely no slack). What do you suggest?
If that's the case, you'll need a single speed frame, which will have rear-facing dropouts so you can move the axle to adjust the chain tension.

Or you could try using a chain tensioner.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OUCH! chain slip after new cassette/chain install chwoodiv 5 16,060 07-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Last Post: chwoodiv