Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Removing "brazeons" from aluminum frame
Is it safe to remove all the cable stops on an aluminum frame? Do I just grind them off and then smooth them out? I am converting a cheap roadbike I just got that is practically junk, only savable thing is the wheel set and the frame. (- a few spokes) It's one of those Target roadbikes.
If your good, and lol I am guessing your using the dremel Smile , I would not go into the actual braze itself for sake of frame stabilization and durability.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
yeah, I am slowly cutting them off with one of the hard sand paper wheels, it takes a while to do each one, but that way I know I'm not cutting into the frame at all.
You know I thought of saying something about a hacksaw until the other little voice told me "DUH, nice way to cut into the frame!". So I was like Nahhhhh.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Oh I started with a hack saw, and as soon as I made the first few cuts I saw the angle was not going to be easy to keep it parallel. So I went to the dremel.
I smoothed them all down and sanded them. Only blemish is where I tried to hacksaw the one. Luckily it's on the underside of the frame.
I use a cutoff wheel then a sanding drum on my rotary tool. (Man, I'm seeing a pattern here with this rotary tool thing!)

Always works like a charm.

*edit* If you get the flex extension for your rotary tool, you can be MUCH more precise with whatever you're doing.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
(01-16-2010, 09:44 AM)jr14 Wrote:  I use a cutoff wheel then a sanding drum on my rotary tool. (Man, I'm seeing a pattern here with this rotary tool thing!)

Always works like a charm.

*edit* If you get the flex extension for your rotary tool, you can be MUCH more precise with whatever you're doing.

The dremel has been a popular tool with me in the last week. I saw a flex extention at the store yesterday, that might not be a bad idea.
Update: Got the flex extension. It's awesome. Also I wanted note that I have been in contact with the new owner of the bike I cute the braze-on's off of and no problems as of yet. It did not seem to affect the integrity of the frame at all even after it was professionally sand blasted.

Possibly Related Threads...