Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Are all skewers created equally?
I was wondering if all the skewers are of the same diameter and length?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
As far as I know they are all equal (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Obviously the front one is always shorter than the rear. Sheldon Brown has a bit more info on them here: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/skewers.html
I was thinking there might be a few specialty skewers out there for different things like track bikes or trials bikes. But 99.9% are the same. Most bikes that need something stronger would just have the bolt-on axle.

Now if we are talking about weight and looks, THAT is a whole new game. They have them in all sorts of light weights and anodized colors.
Ok awesome information, have not got to play around with skewers yet as most of the stuff I have dealt with has been bolt on. I'm sure I will come into a few soon.

Thanks for the help Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I believe standard skewers are 5 mm, but when you start getting into freeride/downhill, they can get pretty beefy, and rarely are they quick release. I'm pretty sure those suckers range between 10 and 12 mm, and they BOLT on.

Don't want your wheels coming off going downhill at 40 mph now do we?
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
Ok next questions, so all of them have the same length for 100mm front and the same for the 130mm rear (as in makes and model)?
(01-16-2010, 11:04 PM)Bill Wrote:  Ok next questions, so all of them have the same length for 100mm front and the same for the 130mm rear (as in makes and model)?

True, the standard nowadays is 100mm up front and 130mm in the rear, BUT

When you start talking about different types of bikes, you get into different width hubs.

Tandems have a standard rear spacing of 140 or 145mm, some downhill/freeride bikes have a whopping 150mm rear spacing and 110mm front hub spacing and <gulp> monstrous 20mm through bolt skewers, older bikes with French or Italian standards can have wacky sizes from 91mm 96mm, the list goes on.

But you are correct in saying the "standard" size for skewers is 100mm up front and 130mm in the rear.

*edit* As for makes and models, you just have to go look at them. Some companies make road specific (Campagnolo comes to mind), while others make good all around skewers (FSA, Crank Brothers) and then some make those downhill/freeride skewers (most of the time though, you don't buy those skewers separately. The skewers come with the hub, and since downhillers aren't concerned so much with weight, they don't go in search of lighter, better skewers)
Cool, thanks for the information. Reason I asked is because I have heard chatter about people wanting to change the style and color to match a certain paint job or new detail on their machine. All the above does help out. These are one of the details about bikes that are not really covered due to the fact that like you said most skewers come with the hub/wheel. As far as the freeride/downhill I honestly do think I would convert those over to the old fashioned bolt on axle for superior performance and stability. That's just my personal opinion though. Anyways thank everyone for the help.

(01-17-2010, 08:56 AM)jr14 Wrote:  
(01-16-2010, 11:04 PM)Bill Wrote:  Ok next questions, so all of them have the same length for 100mm front and the same for the 130mm rear (as in makes and model)?

True, the standard nowadays is 100mm up front and 130mm in the rear, BUT

When you start talking about different types of bikes, you get into different width hubs.

Tandems have a standard rear spacing of 140 or 145mm, some downhill/freeride bikes have a whopping 150mm rear spacing and 110mm front hub spacing and <gulp> monstrous 20mm through bolt skewers, older bikes with French or Italian standards can have wacky sizes from 91mm 96mm, the list goes on.

But you are correct in saying the "standard" size for skewers is 100mm up front and 130mm in the rear.

*edit* As for makes and models, you just have to go look at them. Some companies make road specific (Campagnolo comes to mind), while others make good all around skewers (FSA, Crank Brothers) and then some make those downhill/freeride skewers (most of the time though, you don't buy those skewers separately. The skewers come with the hub, and since downhillers aren't concerned so much with weight, they don't go in search of lighter, better skewers)
No problem
Here is a place you can order just about any wheel part you may want.
http://www.torontocycles.com
I have order a new set of skewers for my Surly LHT bicycle I wanted them in green and I got them too :-)
The prices of the parts are not to bad I don't think.
My skewers needed to be 100mm for the front and 135 mm for the back.Skewers come in so many different sizes now days and colors too.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Last Post: nfmisso