Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Air brushing a Bicycle
After reading for a while on airbrushing, thinking about picking up a kit. Although it is a long process airbrushing a complete frame is possible. Even with the powder coat its possible. What is everyone's views on this type of process?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(01-09-2010, 06:17 PM)Bill Wrote:  After reading for a while on airbrushing, thinking about picking up a kit. Although it is a long process airbrushing a complete frame is possible. Even with the powder coat its possible. What is everyone's views on this type of process?

If you get an air brush I would look in to getting a Paasche air brush kit you might also like the Badger air brush as well. Both are great for air brushing but then get the special Paasche air compressor. As you can see I like the Paasche air brush and air compressor best for air brushing I have been using mine for over twenty years now. Take a look at tower hobbies for a good price online. Or go to Hobby Lobby if you have one in your town. Hope this helps.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
(01-10-2010, 02:41 AM)KDC1956 Wrote:  
(01-09-2010, 06:17 PM)Bill Wrote:  After reading for a while on airbrushing, thinking about picking up a kit. Although it is a long process airbrushing a complete frame is possible. Even with the powder coat its possible. What is everyone's views on this type of process?

If you get an air brush I would look in to getting a Paasche air brush kit you might also like the Badger air brush as well. Both are great for air brushing but then get the special Paasche air compressor. As you can see I like the Paasche air brush and air compressor best for air brushing I have been using mine for over twenty years now. Take a look at tower hobbies for a good price online. Or go to Hobby Lobby if you have one in your town. Hope this helps.

As far as the compressor I have a 26 gallon with the air regulator on it. But I will look at those 2 kits.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Airbrushing can produce amazing effects, and if you are artistic, and are doing custom paint jobs, then by all means, get a good kit and enjoy.

But if this is a method in which you plan to paint a frame a solid color or a two tone, if would skip airbrushing. But like I said, if artsy stuff is on the mind, and you want a mind blowing paint job, don't even hesitate.

And post pics. We love pics.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
Yup that's the idea! I have seen some awesome artwork with airbrushing. As far as solid color or maybe a two tone looking for a small paint gun for that. Thanks for the advice. You have any airbrush art?
Got to admit, I am NOT one for artistic flair. I do have a knack for mechanics though. I guess thats why I spend my time here.

When I redo older bikes with lugged frames, I like to do a bold color on the main tubes, and more subtle color on the lugs. Sometimes you have to get creative with pin-stripping masking tape on the lugs if they're really ornate.

I like the simple two tone on vintage bikes, but thats my personal preference.

I'm redoing my brother in laws 1983 (maybe 84) Trek and we're doing the tubes in gunmetal blue with a cream color for the lugs. Should look really good. We'll be cataloging and documenting the entire process so he can put together a presentation for potential customers. So I'll post some pics in a week or two.
I searched for pictures of airbrushed frames and there are some riduculus paint jobs out there. I need to find some sort of art class that needs projects to work on and bring them some frames to play with. Maybe they could yield some sweet paint jobs.
(01-15-2010, 03:46 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  I need to find some sort of art class that needs projects to work on and bring them some frames to play with. Maybe they could yeild some sweet paint jobs.

Actually, that is a FANTASTIC idea. Just make sure you get them to put some kind of signature on it, so everyone gets their just desserts. Everyone makes out in that case. They get a cool new medium to play around on, you get some great, funky artwork, and the customer (presumably) gets a custom one of a kind paint job.

Killer idea.
I just joined this forum about a week ago and I saw this post and thought that I'd put my 2 cents in.
I am an airbrush artist and do custom paint on bikes and a lot more. If you're new to airbrushing then
by all means go with the Paasche VL series you can't go wrong with that. However Paasche does have the Talon which is a very good brush it comes in either Gravity or Siphon feed. The Badger airbrushes are also a good choice especially the Renegade series brushes. Then of course there is Iwata they are currently the top dogs of airbrushes but they also are proud of their prices as well. You can go to
coastairbrush.com and see the complete line of airbrushes. Now as for doing a complete paint job on your bike I recommend using a touch up gun simply because for a bike you won't need that much paint to do the job. Now after you do your airbrush work you'll want to use a good quality clear to make your work pop. If you have any questions feel free to ask I'm more than happy to help. BTW I just started another bike repair shop where I live I used to have one back in the 80s thought I'd try it again.
thank you for the input, I will keep you in mind and good luck on your new venture
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Yes I remember this thread! Nice to meet you and welcome to the forums Smile. Can you post a pic of one of your artworks?
Take a look at my avatar you'll see one of my most recent jobs
VERY NICE CC!!!!! Hey you ever seen this type of paint job...... http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-896-page-3.html . Scroll down and you will see a couple of frames with rather magnificent paint jobs! One is green and one is red!
Something that can be done is to take a RED scotchbrite pad on an orbital sander and use it to get a
swirl look to it then spray a candy red, blue,or,green on it then clear it. It gives and amazing look to it.
Or you could do like they did strip it down but then clear it give an interesting look to it. If you need something
airbrushed or painted you can send it to me and then I can send it back to you afterwards. Or if you need painting tips let me know.
I have a question for you CC. can you duplicate exactly with airbrush like a tattoo artist. the bone graphics on this Gary fisher grateful dead Hoo Koo E koo
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Yes I can duplicate that, That looks more like bamboo or rattan more than it looks like bone.
What do you have in mind?
Yes I can duplicate that! However this looks more like rattan or bamboo rather than bone.
Bone is much lighter in color. What did you have in mind?
(10-07-2012, 11:46 AM)CC Riderz Wrote:  Yes I can duplicate that, That looks more like bamboo or rattan more than it looks like bone.
What do you have in mind?
got the ole scratch on the top tube from the barends swinging around on the top tube, the bone emblems and such on the bike are decals and I was thinking about re doing it with paint but it would have to be exactly as the original as possible. on the other hand it is such a debatable subject as to what the value and someone would pay for the bike should it ever go up for sale in the future and would a high end paint vs decals affect this.
so i am just asking if this is possible should I want to go this route
and where the heck are you located?
How about I do a custom paint job on one of my bikes that I have and show the before and after pics of it?
Then you can judge it for yourself as to what it looks like.
(10-07-2012, 01:03 PM)CC Riderz Wrote:  How about I do a custom paint job on one of my bikes that I have and show the before and after pics of it?
Then you can judge it for yourself as to what it looks like.

Me and the gang at the tutor are always ready for stuff like that for sure!