Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Air brushing a Bicycle
I've started stripping and sanding the frame,forks,and bars on the bike so far. I didn't get the chance to take "Before" pics of it because my daughter has her own projects to deal with and she has the camera. The bike is a 20 inch BMX style it had decals on it that said "Thruster" not sure who made it most likely a Wally world brand. Any way I haven't decided on a paint scheme yet. Kicking around the
idea of maybe something like a bone look. Maybe have the top bar of the bike look like a spine with the down tube like a leg bone maybe? If you have ideas let me hear them.
As for your idea yea I agree with pk! The thruster bike is make by Kent Cycles.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I've got the bike primed now I'll take pics from this point on. Got the camera from my daughter
so I'm good to go with that. Kent cycles? never heard of them are they decent bikes or throw aways?
Still have yet to decide on paint scheme any ideas?
Ok here we go First off you'll see the forks, and frame primed.
Then you'll see frame, forks, H bars with color on them. Coming soon will be the fun stuff. I'm going for a twisted metal look If all goes well
this should look like everything got twisted as in frame bars and forks.[attachment=3576][attachment=3577][attachment=3578][attachment=3579][attachment=3580]
cool CC ! you kicking the old post back up again quite nicely
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
Well I do like a challenge and I figure if I'm gonna be part of this forum what better way to do it.
I would however like to see a section added here for painting the bikes kind of like a tips or tutorial thing.
yea that would be cool. i wish i could ell you how to go about that, maybe send Alex a message.
when i get some free time I will send you some better pics of my bones edition Hoo Koo so you can tell better what it will entail
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
If you're interested in having the bike done in a Bone look I can do that for you.
I could airbrush a spine on the top bar and maybe other bones on it as well.
Just let me know what you'd like to do. Even just duplicating what's on there wouldn't be a problem either.
What kind of paint are y'all using on bike frames? Where are you sourcing it from? I ask because the smallest amount of automotive (polyurethane or acrylic) paint I can get from NAPA is a quart. That's a lot of leftover paint! And then there's the cost....
CC would be better off to asked that question. I usually get mine from a hardware store. For all brushing purposes like yourself and spray paint is both from the ole local hardware store or who ever has the color I need. The price is up there but, maybe as I said someone has better resources.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
you got it! It cost a chunk of change to do just one bike. keep in mind though if its whats one does its what one does. the paint is cheap compared to setting shop up "right". start adding compressors,
Lines, separators, spray guns, hoses, lighting, misc. supplies etc..
CC how in the world do you have the frame suspended up like that in the upper picture ?
In answer to the first question you can go to the local body shops in your area and ask them for
their left over paints from previous jobs. They're usually good about giving it away because it saves them from having to pay to haul it off. As for how I have the bike suspended I'm using the base from an old office chair with a pvc pipe up from that and then a smaller pipe inside it which fits the head.
And of course you just slip the bike onto it. To do your paint work you need to have a good compressor
to run a paint gun, as for the paint gun itself you can get a decent one from harbor freight as well as air lines and other accessories. As for supplies again ask your local body shop, the one I go to here sells me some supplies at his cost so he makes a little extra cash and I get good quality products.
I hope this helps if you have any further questions feel free to ask I'll do what I can to help.
Ok a change of plans on the project bike. I don't like the twisted metal look so I'm going for something
different. With this being the month of spooks and ghouls so I'm gonna go with a monster type look to it. So stay tuned to see what the outcome is.
Update to the project bike I've chosen to go with a swamp scene the bike will be known as "The Swamp Witch".
Here are a couple of pics on it's progress.[attachment=3626][attachment=3627] Tell me what ya think, good,
bad, or it just sucks.
I Ain't Skeered
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
I think it is absolutely awesome!!!! Never seen anything like it I really so like it!!
Thank you!! Now onto the other side
Your welcome! It is really nice to see what can be done with airbrushing to a bike!