Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Front derailleur woes
I have Ultegra long reach with 10 speed cassette in the rear--works great. FSA Gossamer triple with 105 FD up front. Problem is in the front. I am experiencing occasional overshifting and thrown chain when shifting from middle chain ring to small while the rear is on the biggest gear. I have no experience with index shifting in the front. I tried to set the FD up with the chain on the small ring, then I added cable tension to get the derailleur to shift to the middle ring with one click from the Ultegra shifter. No way. It takes more than one click to get the front to shift to the middle ring. To get the front to shift from the big to middle or middle to small takes several operations of the black lever. It makes quite a popping sound when I press the black shifter level as well. I need some advice or tests to run.
...j
Take a look at http://bike.shimano.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/us/index/tech_support/tech_tips.html number 6) "Trim function". It is a bit tricky to get the shifting correct for a triple crank set, especially if one tries to set up the trimming the wrong way. I know that 'cause I tried...
You use the Hi & Lo limit screws to stop the chain overshooting the small and large chainrings. The cable may be slightly slack when in the small ring.

Looking at the "tech-Tips", that Joe mentions, gives the impression that you have to go through 2 clicks to change completely from small to middle ring?
Ride hard or ride home alone!
As I mentioned, I do not have experience with indexed shifting on a front derailleur. At this point I can say that the 10-speed Ultegra setup in the rear is the best shifting I have ever experienced on a bike. I must add that I prefer friction shifting in the front, so far. I can barely read the text in the Shimano tech docs--is it just me? I think that I really need is an operator's guide for the Ultegra shifters and 105 front derailleur. After looking at the chart in the tech docs I am pretty sure that I don't understand the function of the front derailleur setup. For example, how many operations of the release lever should it take to shift from the big ring down to the small on my triple setup? Is there a "trim" function built into the Ultegra shifter and 105 derailleur? I didn't realize how clueless I am. I appreciate your patience.
...j
There should be more docs on the shimano website. When they open up in pdf there is a zoom tool which should help you out on the reading part Smile .

(01-12-2010, 02:30 PM)j beede Wrote:  As I mentioned, I do not have experience with indexed shifting on a front derailleur. At this point I can say that the 10-speed Ultegra setup in the rear is the best shifting I have ever experienced on a bike. I must add that I prefer friction shifting in the front, so far. I can barely read the text in the Shimano tech docs--is it just me? I think that I really need is an operator's guide for the Ultegra shifters and 105 front derailleur. After looking at the chart in the tech docs I am pretty sure that I don't understand the function of the front derailleur setup. For example, how many operations of the release lever should it take to shift from the big ring down to the small on my triple setup? Is there a "trim" function built into the Ultegra shifter and 105 derailleur? I didn't realize how clueless I am. I appreciate your patience.
...j
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Do you know the model number of the Ultegra shifter you have?

The minimum operations could be 2 moves (ie. 1 from large to middle and another from middle to inner) or it could be 4 (2 from outer to middle then another 2 to the inner)? and then the opposite going back from small to biggest.

Some Ultegras have a trim function so you can move the front derailleur a little to stop it being rubbed by the chain. If you select say the little ring and one of the smaller rear sprockets then the chain may rub the "cage" of the front derailleur. Depending on the model, you can "trim" the derailleur to move slightly into a better position. And similar trimming when on the other chainrings

To check the STI operation:-
Move the derailleur and chain to the largest (outer) ring. (You will need to turn the cranks).
Now hold the shifter bare wire, where it goes down the down tube, with the fingers of one hand and gently pull the cable. Operate the shifter with the other hand and you should be able to determine the operation of the shifter (3 positions or more, even maybe 6?)
As long as you don't turn the cranks the front derailleur will stay on the big ring, held by the chain.

If you do have the "trimming" version then you will probably have to do 2 clicks to change between gears. Initially it will take some getting used to but you will soon adapt.

As Bill mentions you can Zoom the PDF documents on the Shimano site to make them easier to read.

As I said the Hi & Lo stop screws, on the front derailleur, are to stop the chain going to far and over shifting.
You may have a cable adjuster somewhere on the bike. - Either on the down-tube stop or even an inline one in the cable housing.
If there is not enough adjustment then the cable will need releasing from the derailleur and then re-clamping in a better position.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
I appreciate your inputs. I do not know the model number of the shifter. It is Ultegra and is marked "triple", and flight deck. Maybe this means it does include the trim function? I've been off bikes for ~20 years--sorry to be so out of touch. The good news is that the bike rides great and the rear derailleur is amazing. How about some advice regarding the chain throwing when shifting from middle to small ring? I have already set L so the front derailleur cage clears the chain by no more than 0.005" with the largest rear gear engaged, If I put in any more "L" the change will rub on the inside of the cage. Anyone know a good trick for setting/checking the angle for the front derailleur? I think the height is good and low.
...j
Okay, the ugly duckling front shifter is now a swan after I have learned how it is supposed to work. I had no idea that this shifter had a "trim" function built into it. I could certainly be happy with a friction shifter for the front derailleur--but the Ultegra is nice now that I understand its operation. Thanks Bill, Joe and cUK.
...j
Great you found out how to make it work! Concerning the angle of the front derailleur: look at the video tutorial on this site and also check Sheldon Brown's homepage (http://www.sheldonbrown.com). It is worth reading most of the articles but be warned: it is (in my opinion) well written and hard to stop reading, so it acts as a time sink...

Possibly Related Threads...