Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

If You Had To Buy Only One Book?
Hey guys

If You Had To Buy Only One Book on bike mechanics which would it be and why?

Thanks for your help.
There are so many out there that are good with great subjects. Personally if I could take this forum/website and put it into a book I would Smile . Park BBB-2 is loaded with great information, Zinn's books are really great, Rob Van Der Plas has good books, the list goes on. Then when you get in the nitty gritty like wheel building there are books there. Those are just a few but I like all of them. Something else, I really wish Sheldon Brown could have written his own book before he past away. His site lives on. Alex here could have very well could have been his son Smile . Anyways sorry did not mean to stray off topic just wanted to give a few ideas.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
If you put a gun to my head?

Tough, but Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance.

You can adapt almost all the info from there for other types of bikes. The wheelbuilding chapter isn't the end all be all of wheelbuilding, but its a damn good starting point.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
I always like the movie better than the book.
The only book I have at this time is Bicycle Maintenance and Repair by Todd Downs it has help me a few times here.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
That is one I have been looking at on Amazon, is it pretty thorough?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Bill yes it has help me out a few times with the help of the videos here I hate to read a lot lol. I only read if and when I have to. Unless I want to read it for info. I know this sounds silly but its the way I am here I say why read when you can do it on your own but that don't always work as I have found out. The book has good pics and good tech reading as well I am glad I got it to work on my bicycles.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
this are my books and they help me a lot.
Zinn & The Art Of Road Bike Maintenance.
5 Th Edition Bicycle Maintenance & Repair For Road & Mountain Bikes. by Todd Downs
Just got the one from Todd Downs like last week and it is a very nice book!
(01-16-2010, 07:41 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  I always like the movie better than the book.

Actually, that is a good point. There are some excellent videos online. I think that is how I found this forum after visiting YouTube. Am I wrong?

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Nope...Vids are awesome, especially for visual learners. I like videos better than books, but you can pack more into a book than you can a video. That's why I own all three Zinn books, and have a collection of repair videos (all from the interweb) sitting in a nice neat folder on the desktop.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
I believe this web page and all the support from the members is enough for me.
I am new here and can't believe how much good info I have received already.

Time to go for a ride!
Steve
Try your local library, my local one has a load of good mountain bike service books and you get 3 weeks or so to borrow them
Cannondale, handmade in USA............................................Refined in Surrey, England.
- Cannondale F500, Kona Blast, Kona Caldera-