Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Single speed project.
So I finally got the wrench i needed to strip this frame down bare. I have been using my Dremel to remove the cable stops and am currently working on removing the kickstand plate on the bottom. I am going to make it as clean as possible. I have the frame and this wheel set that i have been working on as well. Hopefully I'll come across some parts I need.

[attachment=708]
[attachment=709]

I need a Crankset.
I'll need a stem and handlebars. (not sure which kind I want yet)
I need a saddle.
I need a freewheel.
I could scavenge some brake housing but I'll need new cables and levers.

Once I find all my parts and make sure everything fits I'm going to have it powder coated. The color will depend on the other parts I find.

I'll keep this thread as a log of this build.
Looks great, can't wait to see it progress!
Working on cutting off the kickstand plate, my dremel keeps running out of battery. I might need to purchase a corded one with more power.
I should have posted this before, this is what it looked like when I picked it up. Nothing on is was functional.
The chainrings were all messed up.
The rear derailler was frozen.
Rear wheel had some broken spokes.
Cables were all frayed in various spots.
Shifters didn't move.
Saddle was missing.
I bought it for $25 I think I got a great deal.
25.00???? Lol wish there was some of those around here. Trust me I have been to a few places where no one would think to look lol. Great find Smile .
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
It was sitting next to a used bikes shop here in town, I think the owner buys entire lots of bikes from police auctions. (There are a lot in a college town)

I asked about it and he said $25 so I jumped on it.
The rear tire is a Kenda Kriterium, those go for 29.99 a tire. I made my money back right there alone.
Tonight when I get home I am going to work on the wheelset a bit. The previous owner got some overspray on the wheels and I'm going to try some different methods to get it off. The white specs on the black rims are really getting on my nerves. I might try a pit of steel wool, maybe some simple green, or GT85. Hopefully I'll find something that helps.
Well, if the dremel is charged up again, try a soft wire wheel on the rims. I've had success taking paint off various surfaces with the soft wire without damaging the material underneath. Just be careful. If you're lucky, the rims are anodized, and it shouldn't be a problem.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
Sorry to maybe bring bad news but the rear hanger on this frame means its not really suitable for single speed. You normally need to tension the chain correctly by moving the wheel back or forwards on the rear hanger, but this only has a single position for the wheel spindle. Unless you can find a chainwheel/rear sprocket/chain that happen to be correctly sized for the BB/rear hanger dimensions your chain will almost certainly be too tight or too loose. Good luck.

If you have paint spots then for cleaning the wheels I would try a hard plastic item (like a kitchen spatula). You want something hard enough to scrape off the paint but soft enough not to damage the anodizing,
Woodrup Fixed
Roberts Fixed Wheel
Cannondale Badboy8
Boardman Hardtail Pro
Santana Tandem
Specialized Stumpy
(02-01-2010, 04:28 AM)Mobiasstrip Wrote:  Sorry to maybe bring bad news but the rear hanger on this frame means its not really suitable for single speed. You normally need to tension the chain correctly by moving the wheel back or forwards on the rear hanger, but this only has a single position for the wheel spindle. Unless you can find a chainwheel/rear sprocket/chain that happen to be correctly sized for the BB/rear hanger dimensions your chain will almost certainly be too tight or too loose. Good luck.

Just use a chain tensioner like everyone else. They were invented for downhilling and singlespeeding with vertical dropouts. Saw, the hanger off, grind it nice and pretty with the dremel, and install a chain tensioner. Simple.

You can read all about it at Sheldon Brown's site.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
This project has been sitting in a box for the last month, I have been doing a very slow move into my new place, We literally moved a few boxes at a time for a month. I have not set up my bike shop yet. It's torture.
Hey nice to see ya Jordan , know how moving is personally...sux!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Stop wasting time go work on your bicycle lol. For 25.00 you got a great deal. But I think I would redo it to make it look like new again thats the fun part of working on them for me. Yes moving does suck big time.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
You can also get an eccentric White Eno (I think that was the name) hub or an eccentric bottom bracket if you want to build up a fixie or a single speeder without a tensioner (looks cleaner).
Ok, So I Finally got a little progress on this project. I'm proud to say I have been riding way to much to work on anything. I've but 250 miles on my different bikes since Feb. But I just got the frame back from the Powdercoat guy I am using. Check it out.
The color came out looking like a sea foam green. I wasn't very picky about the color and i just kinda pointed at one of the many jars of powdercoat that the guy had. . Oh and ignore the date on my camera. I haven't set the date on it and I can't figure out how to remove the date.
Very nice Jordan!!! Color is not bad at all. I know what you mean about riding lol. Been getting my miles in as well. Rainy days are deemed project days (until it stops lol).
Yeah it's been so nice out. I've gotten a lot of new toys for my birthday so I have been putting them to use.
hello jordan nice job
Thanks Tino, So guys I was thinking about pairing this frame with white components. I have the front fork, crankset, and handle bars that I was going to take back to the powdercoater to have them powdercoated white. Any advice?
So I finally had time to get back to this project. I spent a few hours yesterday putting some of it together. It's sort of a rough draft. I still have several things left to do. Like wrap the bars, tighen chain, etc. Check it out.

Possibly Related Threads...