Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Canyon Speedmax CF 7 Disc As A Daily Rider?
Looking to purchase a bike to ride throughout NJ & NY. Would a Speedmax cf7 disc be a good choice or should i stick with more of a road bike, like the Aero or endurance line?
Preference really.

The trial bike may or may not be more comfortable depending on your development.

If you're just going to be spinning and not grinding, the road bike will be more versatile.
(04-18-2023, 10:42 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Preference really.

The trial bike may or may not be more comfortable depending on your development.

If you're just going to be spinning and not grinding, the road bike will be more versatile.

Spinning or grinding is only dependent on your pedalling cadence not the bike style. It would depend on what the gearing setup is but with an 11 speed cassette x 2 I doubt there will be an issue whether the rider wants to use a high or low rpm cadence. It does depend on how you train and what gear ratio you primarily use.
Knowing NY has more a more hilly topo upstate than NJ or NYC you should find out what the gearing is and if it suits your needs for the areas you plan on riding through. I would also be concerned if you plan on touring with it and want to add paniers since short chainstays can be be a problem due to not having enough clearance for your foot. Also you would need a specialized rack for that frame, and depending on your weight your luggage load may be limited depending on the bike' s max. weight capacity.. You would need a shallow length bag even with smaller feet. I have cycled up Bear Mtn and around that vicinity so having a decent climbing gear setup is a must unless your are a very strong climber. I have never ridden in NJ, but drive through on my travels and the hills are much easier from what I have seen so a standard racing cluster would probably work fine depending on the front ring sizes.
That is a fine bike for distance travel, but not in town except for quick runs through them. due to aero/tri bars. I would rather have drops with aero extensions for handling and aerodynamic position versatility. Heavy for a carbon bike; I assume the hydraulic brakes offset the benefit of the lightweight frame.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(04-16-2023, 04:05 PM)sabeast Wrote:  Looking to purchase a bike to ride throughout NJ & NY. Would a Speedmax cf7 disc be a good choice or should i stick with more of a road bike, like the Aero or endurance line?

Depends on how long you intend to ride daily and if it will be your daily commute. For day to day use a road bike might be more practical.

Possibly Related Threads...