Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How do u remove the Shimano FC-M521 crank set
How do u remove the Shimano FC-M521 crank set from the specialized rockhopper expert disk 2009 and what tools do you need to do this ?

thanks !!!

specialized rockhopper expert disk 2009 link: http://www.specialized.com/gb/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=40635
Well first you would need to remove the Crank bolts on the arms, they usually take a 15mm socket.
After you get those off you'd want to use a crank puller. You can check out the Videos, there is a tutorial on how to remove the cranks and one to remove the bottom bracket.
You might not actually have to remove the bottom bracket if your just putting on a new crankset and it uses the same bottom bracket.
Not sure without seeing the crank. Post a pic if you can. The M521 is an Octalink crankset, similar to the ISIS standard. Some cranks are of the self extracting kind (Like my Truvativs) and don't require a crank tool. Watch the video at this site, and go from there.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
(01-16-2010, 02:58 PM)Jordan300 Wrote:  Well first you would need to remove the Crank bolts on the arms, they usually take a 15mm socket.
After you get those off you'd want to use a crank puller. You can check out the Videos, there is a tutorial on how to remove the cranks and one to remove the bottom bracket.
You might not actually have to remove the bottom bracket if your just putting on a new crankset and it uses the same bottom bracket.

i have removed both the crank bolts and put in the crank puller but nothing happened because of the tube thing when i toke the crank bolt of is hollow ?? also my crank arm on the other side to the chainrings has not got a allen key like the slx cranks so how do i remove that as well?
thanks
See Park Tool:-
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=120

You could put a thin flat metal disc inside the crank end which is just big enough to rest on the end of the tube. (or use a washer where the center hole doesn't allow the tool end to go through?)
All the Park tool is a standard crank puller with a "plug" on the end.
Ride hard or ride home alone!

Possibly Related Threads...