Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Any Solution to bike squealing sound [Solved]
I bought a used SB 5.5 XT and it needs some repairs, but there's an annoying squealing sound which makes the bike ride awful. Any solutions?? Tried lube on chain, crack etc. Still noisy
Hello Talha, could it be you need to replace the ball bearing or regrease the ball bearings in the crank?
(06-30-2023, 10:32 AM)GirishH Wrote:  Hello Talha, could it be you need to replace the ball bearing or regrease the ball bearings in the crank?

Lubed the crank. I don't think it's the bearings.
(06-30-2023, 10:04 AM)Talha Wrote:  I bought a used SB 5.5 XT and it needs some repairs, but there's an annoying squealing sound which makes the bike ride awful. Any solutions?? Tried lube on chain, crack etc. Still noisy

What is awful about the riding: handling, braking, accelerating, etc.? Is your noise happening when pedaling or coasting, and is it continuous at the same pitch or does the sound change frequency when pedaling or coasting? Does it make the noise in the front or rear? Does it make the noise pedaling backwards? Does it make the noise with tires off the ground and being manually cranked and/or when you spin the wheels by hand? Have you checked bearing assemblies for excessive play or tightness? Are the tires/rims clearing the frame/brake pads adequately?
I would certainly check the brake discs/pads and ensure they are in good condition and properly bedded.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Gremlin noises could be literally anything.

And many of them share similarities. For example, a creaking bottom bracket can make the same sounds as a creaking seatpost. I don't just lube the threads anymore more my bottom brackets. I also slap some teflon tape on them. For the seatpost, taking it out and lubricating it again, and tightening it down is the only way to remove the creaking; unless your seatpost clamp is so spent that only replacing it will stop the creaking.
Maybe we need to clarify the sound. For example: a girl "squealed" with delight, or a girl "creaked" with delight. What makes more sense regarding your noise? For what it is worth I have never heard anyone "creak" with delight. A squeal is in general high pitched and in a mechanical sense occurs from something at a high rpm, is usually fairly constant and is usually easily isolated from other sounds allowing detection of its source. If the noise occurs while coasting then the bottom bracket is out of play; if only when pedaling then more possibilities arise.
Provide a much specific information and the community will hopefully be able to provide a specific cause.
Take care,
Jesper

If it is a squealing, I would have further supplement this happens when the derailleur pulleys need lubed.
(06-30-2023, 07:49 PM)Jesper Wrote:  
(06-30-2023, 10:04 AM)Talha Wrote:  I bought a used SB 5.5 XT and it needs some repairs, but there's an annoying squealing sound which makes the bike ride awful. Any solutions?? Tried lube on chain, crack etc. Still noisy

What is awful about the riding: handling, braking, accelerating, etc.? Is your noise happening when pedaling or coasting, and is it continuous at the same pitch or does the sound change frequency when pedaling or coasting? Does it make the noise in the front or rear? Does it make the noise pedaling backwards? Does it make the noise with tires off the ground and being manually cranked and/or when you spin the wheels by hand? Have you checked bearing assemblies for excessive play or tightness? Are the tires/rims clearing the frame/brake pads adequately?
I would certainly check the brake discs/pads and ensure they are in good condition and properly bedded.

Hi, got a little help from a friend. It was the silliest thing ever. Whenever I pedaled while standing and slightly pushed on the handlebar the rim pressed against the brake pads unintentionally. The problem was misaligned brake pads. Fixed the alignment, cleaned the pads and no works like a charm
(07-04-2023, 05:29 AM)Talha Wrote:  
(06-30-2023, 07:49 PM)Jesper Wrote:  

Hi, got a little help from a friend. It was the silliest thing ever. Whenever I pedaled while standing and slightly pushed on the handlebar the rim pressed against the brake pads unintentionally. The problem was misaligned brake pads. Fixed the alignment, cleaned the pads and no works like a charm

Thanks for the update!
Take care,
Jesper

Thanks, Talha for the update. May be your solution should guide me next time to look for simple things first before getting into complicated issues..:-) Enjoy riding this summer.

Possibly Related Threads...