Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Help w/Shimano Altus Shift Indicator alignment.. [Solved]
Exclamation 
Hi,

I have a new 2023 Trek Dual Sport 2 (gen 4) . It has a 2x9 drivetrain with Shimano Altus shifters. The red needle in the shifters window is reading off to the left. In my posted image this is how 5th gear is displayed and 6th gear is actually very close to reading 7th gear and so forth. Is there any way I can adjust this indicator a little bit to the right so it’s properly sitting spot on its selected number. Thank you.

Attached Files Image(s)

(07-16-2023, 12:21 AM)ViO Wrote:  Hi,

I have a new 2023 Trek Dual Sport 2 (gen 4) . It has a 2x9 drivetrain with Shimano Altus shifters. The red needle in the shifters window is reading off to the left. In my posted image this is how 5th gear is displayed and 6th gear is actually very close to reading 7th gear and so forth. Is there any way I can adjust this indicator a little bit to the right so it’s properly sitting spot on its selected number. Besides this, I love the bike and its shifting great in all gears. Thank you.

I am not sure regarding that shifter. Was it like this when you first got the bike (I assume you bought it in a bike shop)? If it shifts properly and was off on the indicator then I would assume the indicator was not properly aligned from the factory. Many older shifters were never too exact when showing what gear the derailleur was running on. I would expect newer models to be better. I would have to dismantle it to determine the problem; but being that your bike is under warranty I would have the shop you bought it from make any adjustments, or request that they replace it as a parts defect. I would not accept someone saying that it is normal and nothing can be done to correct it. You paid enough for the bike to have EVERYTHING working as it should. Cable stretch (as far as I know) should not cause your problem; it could cause the alignment of your derailleur to change, but you already stated that it shifts properly so I doubt that is the problem. The dealer can be reimbursed for the faulty part so they really should just replace it and ensure that the new one does not have the same issue before they give it to you. Make sure to check it out on a test ride before leaving the shop regardless of whether they make an adjustment or replace the unit. You could also contact Shimano with your issue and see if they might have a suggestion; but again with a bike under warranty you should not have to do the work if an adjustment can be made. If you attempt something and damage is caused it can void the warranty on the part (and maybe the entire bike!).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
Google and find your nearest Trek dealership; they have trained mechanics on site. If there is no Trek shop close to you, take it to a local bike shop that does repairs and ask them to have a look at it.

I can tell you from bike shop experience that Shimano Althus is entry-level components and the indicator not lining up squarely may just be something you have to live with…
Seems like a simple indicator issue.

Find the barrel adjuster near the end of the shifter cable. Adjust the indicator to the right. ( you can also tune it to the left depending on what works best)
Go slow, with tiny turns, (just a little bit) and check the indicator. After each turn, test the shifter and indicator's alignment.
Repeat this until the indicator is set correct.

LMK if it helped.
(07-17-2023, 07:52 AM)Beth Mason Wrote:  Google and find your nearest Trek dealership; they have trained mechanics on site. If there is no Trek shop close to you, take it to a local bike shop that does repairs and ask them to have a look at it.

I can tell you from bike shop experience that Shimano Althus is entry-level components and the indicator not lining up squarely may just be something you have to live with…

I kind of have to agree with you, but regardless of the level of "groupset quality", a company like Shimano (at this stage in the game) should do better; and so should Trek. I dealt with that situation with Campagnolo throughout the 70s and into the 80s where even their top tier stuff was really just better finished aesthetically and lighter weight, but performance really had not improved over nearly 40 years.
Shimano should be embarrassed to put out anything like that where a simple design cannot even accurately indicate a gear selection; and Trek should be embarrassed for using it in the first place if it does not perform well. I'm used to not knowing what my gear is except by feel, but I have 40 years of friction shifting experience. Beginning cyclists deserve better. I hope this is something that can be remedied to the satisfaction of the owner since that bike is well over $500, and although not top end it is also far from being a bargain basement bike. Trek should be not be using a lower tier groupset if it cannot even properly indicate the actual gear selection since that is what the display is there for in the first place. Otherwise, why even have it if it is inaccurate?.

I would still demand a properly functioning shifter with an accurate indication of the gear selected since that is what was paid for: a properly working brand new bike. The owner could have bought a used bike for a lot less and had the same issue. Bike companies are already overcharging for new bikes and they should be held accountable for failing to meet their own stated standards. Treks has bikes well over $10,000 that are not worth it, but they know they still have a market for them so they don't care that the mark-up is easily over 25% or more.

Quotes from Trek's website:
"Trek was never just a name. From the beginning, it was a summation of values." "A culture of craftsmanship..." "...every bike we make is a testament to Trek's founding principles." "Our commitment to relentless innovation while honoring our founding principles to build bikes people love that we are proud to stand behind has led us to where we are today. But we know that there is so much more that we can do."

Trek as a company has become a bit of a behemoth, and a legal bully in the way they protect and monopolize the word "trek". You are lucky to be able to use it with any product and/or service without their legal team attacking your use of that word.
Due to their evolution from a company started in a barn to their modern bullying presence in the cycling and sporting goods community; I will never ride or purchase their products where their name is emblazoned or where they might receive any profit. They started as a small company and now seek to inhibit other small companies that use a word in no direct relation to themselves. Typical American business wanting it all.

@ViO Thus, they should honor their "principles" and provide nothing less than a quality product regardless of the level of components used! Demand the perfection that they advertise and that you paid for, or get a rebate and/or replacement or upgrade of the defective part that they are so inclined to put on a "quality" bike. They do have a 30 day refund, but there may be conditions depending on if you purchased it online or from a shop dealership. Demand perfection; make them repair, or replace or bike!

Again from the Trek website: " TREK CARE: We've got you covered. Every new Trek bicycle comes with the industry's best warranty and loyalty programme: Trek Care. Absolutely free, once your Trek Bicycle is registered, Trek Bicycle Corporation provides each original retail purchaser of a Trek bicycle an amazing warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. It's our way of standing behind the bikes we make." @ViO register your bike and have them make it right!
Take care,
Jesper

(07-18-2023, 02:47 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(07-17-2023, 07:52 AM)Beth Mason Wrote:  Google and find your nearest Trek dealership; they have trained mechanics on site. If there is no Trek shop close to you, take it to a local bike shop that does repairs and ask them to have a look at it.

I kind of have to agree with you, but regardless of the level of "groupset quality", a company like Shimano (at this stage in the game) should do better; and so should Trek. I dealt with that situation with Campagnolo throughout the 70s and into the 80s where even their top tier stuff was really just better finished aesthetically and lighter weight, but performance really had not improved over nearly 40 years.
Shimano should be embarrassed to put out anything like that where a simple design cannot even accurately indicate a gear selection; and Trek should be embarrassed for using it in the first place if it does not perform well. I'm used to not knowing what my gear is except by feel, but I have 40 years of friction shifting experience. Beginning cyclists deserve better. I hope this is something that can be remedied to the satisfaction of the owner since that bike is well over $500, and although not top end it is also far from being a bargain basement bike. Trek should be not be using a lower tier groupset if it cannot even properly indicate the actual gear selection since that is what the display is there for in the first place. Otherwise, why even have it if it is inaccurate?.

I would still demand a properly functioning shifter with an accurate indication of the gear selected since that is what was paid for: a properly working brand new bike. The owner could have bought a used bike for a lot less and had the same issue. Bike companies are already overcharging for new bikes and they should be held accountable for failing to meet their own stated standards. Treks has bikes well over $10,000 that are not worth it, but they know they still have a market for them so they don't care that the mark-up is easily over 25% or more.

Quotes from Trek's website:
"Trek was never just a name. From the beginning, it was a summation of values." "A culture of craftsmanship..." "...every bike we make is a testament to Trek's founding principles." "Our commitment to relentless innovation while honoring our founding principles to build bikes people love that we are proud to stand behind has led us to where we are today. But we know that there is so much more that we can do."

Trek as a company has become a bit of a behemoth, and a legal bully in the way they protect and monopolize the word "trek". You are lucky to be able to use it with any product and/or service without their legal team attacking your use of that word.
Due to their evolution from a company started in a barn to their modern bullying presence in the cycling and sporting goods community; I will never ride or purchase their products where their name is emblazoned or where they might receive any profit. They started as a small company and now seek to inhibit other small companies that use a word in no direct relation to themselves. Typical American business wanting it all.

@ViO Thus, they should honor their "principles" and provide nothing less than a quality product regardless of the level of components used! Demand the perfection that they advertise and that you paid for, or get a rebate and/or replacement or upgrade of the defective part that they are so inclined to put on a "quality" bike. They do have a 30 day refund, but there may be conditions depending on if you purchased it online or from a shop dealership. Demand perfection; make them repair, or replace or bike!

Again from the Trek website: " TREK CARE: We've got you covered. Every new Trek bicycle comes with the industry's best warranty and loyalty programme: Trek Care. Absolutely free, once your Trek Bicycle is registered, Trek Bicycle Corporation provides each original retail purchaser of a Trek bicycle an amazing warranty against defects in materials and workmanship. It's our way of standing behind the bikes we make." @ViO register your bike and have them make it right!

Thank you so much for your reply. You’re 100% correct. I did buy it at a local Trek store. It is under warranty less than a week old. However, they have one mechanic that is over worked and one that just build new bikes. They are so busy I would have to drop it off for a week. I know some basic bike repair. I have tried to adjust the barrel adjuster on the shifter. That did not adjust the indicator needle at all. It only threw off the shifting which I had to adjust back to normal.

I ordered a replacement Shimano ALTUS shifter. If it aligns up perfectly and clicks up and down as normal I will either install it or take the bike to another shop.

I also didn’t care for the way the store had the bike on the maintenance holder during its build as it left deep 2” wide lines embedded into the paint where the bike was hanging from. It damaged the clear coat and will not come off. Exactly over the middle section of the Trek decal on the down tube and the paint was also scratched by the crank area.

Sadly, I’m not one for confrontation. I’m just upset over the whole thing. It’s partially my fault as I picked up the bike at the end of the day when they were closing in ten minutes and everyone was in a rush to leave.

In all fairness the people that work at my local Trek store were all very nice and friendly. They obviously just overworked but more care should have gone into mounting the bike during installation and making sure it shifted was aligned corrected.
See new update below.. 😊
(07-18-2023, 04:56 PM)ViO Wrote:  Thank you for all of the helpful replies. I really appreciate it. I wrote a lengthly message earlier today and posted it and now it seems it never got posted?

So here is the short version. I will not be taking my newly purchased Trek bike back to a Trek store or will I ever go to one again.

Besides the shifter issue. When they built the bike they cranked the holding stand arm down so tight it made a two inch indent straight through the clear coat and Trek decal on the Down tube. I also found a 1”x1” area of scratched paint directly under the crank most likely due during shipping. Now I have to worry about that rusting.

As for the shifter issue, I have bike maintenance knowledge. I tried adjusting it however the needle stayed the same just the gear shifting got affected. I have it adjusted now where it shifts fine but the shifter indicator is still off on all gears.

So I ordered a brand new shifter at my expense and will install it or have a local Landry’s install it and go over everything.

In all fairness, the staff at my local Trek store was friendly but they have only one mechanic and one bike builder. It took two weeks already after the bike came in to have it built. The employees are all overworked and always rushing around.

This is partially my fault as I picked it up after work when they were about to close and didn’t test drive it or go over anything.

Regardless, I will never walk into another Trek store again. I love the bike but not the experience I had purchasing it from a Trek store. I dislike confrontation and there is no way in heck I’m having them clamp down on the frame again to rework on it.

I can’t say this enough.. Thank you for all of the helpful replies.

Sorry you had that bad experience. I have also been in a Trek dealership and found it lacking in knowledge. Yes, the staff was friendly. They also wanted me to buy a new bike since I went there with a minor service question about my 40 plus year old bike that they could not answer or fix (I am away from home and was not carrying the tools needed for the fix). Mechanic staff was very young which should not matter since my bike is much easier to maintain and service than a modern bike; but eyebrows were raised in regards to my query and the only thing that was said is that we have never worked on a bike that old before. I pretended to be interested in some $6000 carbon bike which at my age isn't going to mean anything except having to worry about someone trying to steal a new bike from me.
It's funny because I just went into another bike shop a couple miles from the Trek shop and had my issue taken care of by a knowledgeable mechanic who had the tools. He did it for free; but I of course tipped him graciously for his time and advice and was able to do my 40 mile ride with peace of mind (except I got a pinch flat on bad roadway).
Take care,
Jesper

I have an Alivio 9 speed with a similar issue.

I opened mine up to fix it, but it doesn't look remediable at first glance. The pin hole is awkwardly off-center.

I had theorized that possibly these shifters require you to put the shifter into a specific gear before closing everything back up to get the proper alignment. I have not opened mine to try that yet.
I have been thinking a lot about what Jesper wrote and he’s so right. I went to my local Trek store today and explained the situation. Mind you, it was not just the shifter issue but also paint defects on the lower frame and where it was clamped on during its build marking straight through the clear coat into the paint.

I then showed him images of the paint defects. I didn’t even get to the shifter issue. The Trek rep I spoke with was actually on my side stating the bike should not have left the store or the factory in that condition..

He stated he would order me another brand new bike and make it right. I couldn’t be happier. This was well handled by the Trek store”s employee.

I have to take back some harsh words I wrote above about the Trek store. The employee did the right thing and was really great to deal with. Knowing this now I would buy from them over and over again without hesitation.

I will give one more update once I receive the replacement bike just to make sure the promises were kept. Thanks again to all and especially to Jesper. 😊
(07-19-2023, 02:42 PM)ViO Wrote:  I have been thinking a lot about what Jesper wrote and he’s so right. I went to my local Trek store today and explained the situation. Mind you, it was not just the shifter issue but also paint defects on the lower frame and where it was clamped on during its build marking straight through the clear coat into the paint.

I then showed him images of the paint defects. I didn’t even get to the shifter issue. The Trek rep I spoke with was actually on my side stating the bike should not have left the store or the factory in that condition..

He stated he would order me another brand new bike and make it right. I couldn’t be happier. This was well handled by the Trek store”s employee.

I have to take back some harsh words I wrote above about the Trek store. The employee did the right thing and was really great to deal with. Knowing this now I would buy from them over and over again without hesitation.

I will give one more update once I receive the replacement bike just to make sure the promises were kept. Thanks again to all and especially to Jesper. 😊

Glad you were able to get some satisfaction. I hope their "mechanic/assembler" has learned a lesson about how to properly use a bike stand for future work since aside from Shimano's low quality control and Trek's willingness to use their parts, there is no excuse for misuse of tools and equipment on any bike new or old by presumably experienced staff. My biggest complaint is normally exactly that, and even though I got my bike serviced to take care of a minor issue requiring specialized tools, one guy at the same shop told me I could use a regular open end wrench to do the job. It would have torn up the parts (old style Shimano alloy headset). I was thankful for having someone (older) who understood the value of using the correct tools for the job and who complimented me on the preservation of an over 40 yr old bike.
Take care,
Jesper

Quick update.. I got my replacement bike and all is good… Trek really stood by their 30-day satisfaction warranty. 😊

Possibly Related Threads...