Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Specialized Body Geometry glove review
It must be my luck but I have another cycling accessory that although barely used is failing. I was given a pair of Specialized Body Geometry gloves as a gift; brand new, proper size.
I generally prefer full finger gloves, but a friend noticed awhile back that my Mongoose gloves were looking rather rough with wear in the palms, holes worn in fingers/pads, missing knuckle guards (which I have and can glue back on), etc.; but not one bit of stitching is apart. Amazing considering the use they service they have provided.
She thought a nice pair from a known brand would be a great gift, and it was until I started wearing them.
They fit like a glove! Perfect, not loose or too tight, comfortable, decent padding, etc.; but after 3 or 4 uses the stitching is coming apart in different places on each glove.
I don't know what is with me and new bike stuff, but everything is poorly designed and/or poorly manufactured. I'm glad I ride old bikes! If I am not super careful putting on and taking off these new gloves they are going to rip apart even more.
My last pair of cotton mesh/leather palm gloves lasted well over a decade and maybe cost about $5-$6 for an unbranded pair. I was able to launder them and just apply some neats foot oil to the leather. They only got beat up due to some bad accidents. I then got the Mongoose gloves to better protect my fingers and I still am able to use them after 7 years of abuse.
The Specialized are Chinese made (so are the Mongoose), but I tend to think they would be no better no matter where they were manufactured unless better reinforced to avoid the issues I'm having. They are not the cheapest gloves so I'm not sure what to think other than to warn people away. Maybe having the next size up would keep them from being as stressed from use (what little use), but then they would not fit the way I want them to. My Mongoose gloves are a size larger than normal for me, but that is so I can wear liner gloves under them during cold weather. A reason I've kept using my Mongoose gloves (other than not finding a new pair) is due to the fact that they cover and protect the distal radio-ulnal joint which "regular" bike gloves do not, as well as they keep the wrist warmer and can be secured over long sleeve shirts preventing wind going up the sleeves.

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
That's annoying. It's amazing how much stuff from 'quality' big brands is garbage these days.
(07-23-2023, 01:31 AM)Jesper Wrote:  It must be my luck but I have another cycling accessory that although barely used is failing. I was given a pair of Specialized Body Geometry gloves as a gift; brand new, proper size.
I generally prefer full finger gloves, but a friend noticed awhile back that my Mongoose gloves were looking rather rough with wear in the palms, holes worn in fingers/pads, missing knuckle guards (which I have and can glue back on), etc.; but not one bit of stitching is apart. Amazing considering the use they service they have provided.
She thought a nice pair from a known brand would be a great gift, and it was until I started wearing them.
They fit like a glove! Perfect, not loose or too tight, comfortable, decent padding, etc.; but after 3 or 4 uses the stitching is coming apart in different places on each glove.
I don't know what is with me and new bike stuff, but everything is poorly designed and/or poorly manufactured. I'm glad I ride old bikes! If I am not super careful putting on and taking off these new gloves they are going to rip apart even more.
My last pair of cotton mesh/leather palm gloves lasted well over a decade and maybe cost about $5-$6 for an unbranded pair. I was able to launder them and just apply some neats foot oil to the leather. They only got beat up due to some bad accidents. I then got the Mongoose gloves to better protect my fingers and I still am able to use them after 7 years of abuse.
The Specialized are Chinese made (so are the Mongoose), but I tend to think they would be no better no matter where they were manufactured unless better reinforced to avoid the issues I'm having. They are not the cheapest gloves so I'm not sure what to think other than to warn people away. Maybe having the next size up would keep them from being as stressed from use (what little use), but then they would not fit the way I want them to. My Mongoose gloves are a size larger than normal for me, but that is so I can wear liner gloves under them during cold weather. A reason I've kept using my Mongoose gloves (other than not finding a new pair) is due to the fact that they cover and protect the distal radio-ulnal joint which "regular" bike gloves do not, as well as they keep the wrist warmer and can be secured over long sleeve shirts preventing wind going up the sleeves.

Thank you for the awesome review - love the honesty!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

07-24-2023, 08:01 PM
Last Post: Jesper

06-11-2013, 10:54 PM
Last Post: Painkiller

05-13-2011, 03:48 AM
Last Post: Joe_W