Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Need help on this 20inch Freewheel
Hey all I need some help on this lowend Bmx Mongoose freewheel. What kind of remover do I need to get to remove it? Also is it pressed or threaded? Inside diameter is 30mm. Here is a picture... Sorry about the poor lighting. Oh it has 16teeth.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Yikes, that's an old falcon! I don't think there is a tool for that. You may have to use a pin spanner to un-thread the outer plate, which will expose the inner bearings and pawls. Then you'll have to remove the guts so you can slide the sprocket off. After that you should be able to flip the wheel upside down and mount it in a vice clamp so you can turn the wheel to get it the rest of it off.

Unfortunately you'll have to get a new freewheel using this method (preferably one with notches for a remover).
Did an internet search and found a Park Tool page that has photos and steps:
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=46

* The outer race has to be turned clockwise to remove.
Hehe, Take it you have done a few of these in the past? As I was saying it is a lower end Mongoose FSG (Free Style Girls) , made in ohh 2005-6? Pretty neat method they show for this one. Great information to know though. Leave it to me to find the almost impossible ones haha. I already did the front wheel, completely cleaned the guts with new bearings. Truing was right on! Anyways I really do thank you for the help. One other question what kind of replacement do I need to search for?
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I hope it's not too late...

Park Tool has a Falcon-specific freewheel remover. See the link below.

http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=4&item=FR-7

Steve
Junkyard Tools rescued from the junkyard!
Actually it is not too late. I think I have that one only in an off brand. So this is used after the top part that has to be taken off clockwise (left hand threaded) is removed?
(01-18-2010, 04:41 PM)Bill Wrote:  Actually it is not too late. I think I have that one only in an off brand. So this is used after the top part that has to be taken off clockwise (left hand threaded) is removed?

Oh I broke my Pin Spanner trying to remove the top about 30mins ago lol. Heh, I'll get a better crafted one for the job!
Bill here is a place that I use to get some of my parts I need it has all kinds of wheels.
http://www.bikepartsusa.com
Hope this helps you out.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.