Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Axel nut size
Hello, complete newbie here. I have an old 80's Schwinn world tourist. The front wheel has a smaller axel then the rear. Not sure what the size is, I just know it takes a 14mm wrench to remove the front nuts and a 15mm to remove the rear.

Does anyone know what size axel the front is? Is it possible to get axel nuts that would fit the smaller front Axel but be 15mm so I can use the same wrench for all the nuts?

Thanks!
Jordan
(08-14-2023, 04:44 PM)Jburks Wrote:  Is it possible to get axel nuts that would fit the smaller front Axel but be 15mm so I can use the same wrench for all the nuts?

Yes.

I know someone who did that. But I don't know where he got the nuts from.

Search the internet, to see what you find.
This is an old style 8mm axle most likely.

It was very popular on road bikes from the 70s/80s era.
It might be a good idea to ask at any local bike shops, and see what they have.

You could also check out any shops which have a large range of bolts, and see what they have.
My local shop wasn't familiar with the issue.. I'm thinking about just taking the bolts into my local hardware shop and seeing if I can find something that works.
(08-14-2023, 04:44 PM)Jburks Wrote:  Hello, complete newbie here. I have an old 80's Schwinn world tourist. The front wheel has a smaller axel then the rear. Not sure what the size is, I just know it takes a 14mm wrench to remove the front nuts and a 15mm to remove the rear.

Does anyone know what size axel the front is? Is it possible to get axel nuts that would fit the smaller front Axel but be 15mm so I can use the same wrench for all the nuts?

Thanks!
Jordan

Here are examples of the wing nut styles I use. They look way better than standard nuts.

Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I'm going to have to look into those wing nuts more. I confirmed at my local hardware store that they are M8x1.0 nuts. Unfortunately they did not have any with a 15mm head, only 13mm.
(08-18-2023, 09:12 PM)Jburks Wrote:  I'm going to have to look into those wing nuts more. I confirmed at my local hardware store that they are M8x1.0 nuts. Unfortunately they did not have any with a 15mm head, only 13mm.

Let me check and see if I have any spare wing nuts I can find in your size. They would not be expensive; 2 for $5 plus shipping (designed for bikes, not hardware store wing nuts).
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
(08-19-2023, 12:08 AM)Jesper Wrote:  
(08-18-2023, 09:12 PM)Jburks Wrote:  I'm going to have to look into those wing nuts more. I confirmed at my local hardware store that they are M8x1.0 nuts. Unfortunately they did not have any with a 15mm head, only 13mm.

Let me check and see if I have any spare wing nuts I can find in your size. They would not be expensive; 2 for $5 plus shipping (designed for bikes, not hardware store wing nuts).

Sorry i must have missed this post, i didnt mean to not respond. that would be great if you did have some! i was having a difficult time finding any. Thank you!
The front axle is likely a 9mm on the old Schwinn Tourist.
Bikes from the 80s had a a front axle with a 9mm while the rear axle was often a little larger. Something like a 10 mm or more. If you're using a 14 mm wrench then it's likely a 9mm axle.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

02-27-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: rob keith