Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Bar end Shifters to Down Tube Shifters
Is there a video on how to install Down Tube Shifters I have bar end shifter now and I have the new down tube shifters here now and would like to know how to get these install quick and easy. Or do any of you here know how to do this because I sure don't know what I am about to get my self into with this set up.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Which kind of shifters will you be installing? You'll have to have the right ones for your bike (7,8,9 speed). For example, this type will mount on your frame if you already have the posts for them, or you can use this type on bikes with no built-in mounts.

I haven't done a tutorial on this yet, but basically you just need to remove the old shifters and install the new ones. You can use your old cables but you'll have to shorten the length. Post any questions you have here while you're doing the conversion. It helps to upload detailed photos so we can see what you are working with.
(01-19-2010, 11:02 PM)Alex Ramon Wrote:  Which kind of shifters will you be installing? You'll have to have the right ones for your bike (7,8,9 speed). For example, this type will mount on your frame if you already have the posts for them, or you can use this type on bikes with no built-in mounts.

I haven't done a tutorial on this yet, but basically you just need to remove the old shifters and install the new ones. You can use your old cables but you'll have to shorten the length. Post any questions you have here while you're doing the conversion. It helps to upload detailed photos so we can see what you are working with.

This is the kind I have here Shimano Dura Ace DownTube Shifters, 9 Speed, 1 Pair I hope to get a new camera soon so I can down load a few pics of my Surly LHT I have done a lot of up grade to it so far and if all goes well this should be the last one to my bike. But time will tell. What I am not sure of is how to set the cable to get it working right I can do this on my old ten speed but guess I am to scared to try it on this kind of bicycle. I have spent way to much money on this bike so far and my wife always tells this to me too lol. Her big ? for me is how much more you going to spend on it. I tell her until I get it the way I want it to look and ride the best it can be for me.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.

Possibly Related Threads...