Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Shimano Recall
Exclamation 
I'm sure there will be lots of discussion on the recall just announced. How will it be handled? Anyone have any insight to the recall?
https://forums.bikeride.com/thread-8594.html
New update:
I was just reading the update on the products affected. Not all will be recalled. First the production tests go from June 1, 2012 - June 30, 2019.
Next, the models are
FC-6800
FC-R8000
FC-9000
FC-R9100
FC-R9100-P
Look on the inside of the crank arm.

Then determine the production code, again looking on the inside of the crank arm. From there an inspection may be needed to determine replacement or not.
Production codes:
KF, KG, KH, KI, KJ, KK, KL, LA, LB, LC, LD, LE, LF, LG, LH, LI, LJ, LK, LL, MA, MB, MC, MD, ME, MF, MG, MH, MI, MJ, MK, ML, NA, NB, NC, ND, NE, NF, NG, NH, NI, NJ, NK, NL, OA, OB, OC, OD, OE, OF, OG, OH, OI, OJ, OK, OL, PA, PB, PC, PD, PE, PF, PG, PH, PI, PJ, PK, PL, QA, QB, QC, QD, QE, QF, QG, QH, QI, QJ, QK, QL, RA, RB, RC, RD, RE, and RF.
Damn that’s a rough callback, kind of late it seems too
(10-01-2023, 03:41 PM)Lss555 Wrote:  Damn that’s a rough callback, kind of late it seems too

There are only two reasons for taking your Dura Ace or Ultegra back for a new one:

1. You are one of the very few riders that can push so hard on the pedals that you cause delamination of the drive side crank arm or
2. You actually have one of the few that were built incorrectly and were not properly glued together and started coming apart.

If this was actually a problem, Shimano would have done something a long time ago. Just remember that Shimano came up with just about every improvement in bicycle components since they opened their doors be it the Freehub, Brifters or electronic shifting.

While all of the internet is astir with class action suits you must first show actual measurable personal harm. I had one of those that started coming unglued and simply took it back and got a new one It made noise which is harmless. Not that I can't conceive of situations in which someone COULD get hurt, but I never really saw a plausible report of such happening.
(10-07-2023, 06:41 PM)Frankly Wrote:  There are only two reasons for taking your Dura Ace or Ultegra back for a new one:

1. You are one of the very few riders that can push so hard on the pedals that you cause delamination of the drive side crank arm or
2. You actually have one of the few that were built incorrectly and were not properly glued together and started coming apart.

The problem is caused by bi-metallic corrosion. Steel and Aluminum together. They corrode, the joint comes apart, and the crank fails. Many people have spoken up about this issue for years, and explain it like that.

(10-07-2023, 06:41 PM)Frankly Wrote:  If this was actually a problem, Shimano would have done something a long time ago.

The reason Shimano has been able to get away with this for a long time, is because a lot of people think like you. Shimano and many other companies, design things to wear out or fail quickly, so they sell more, and make more money. The authorities have seen reality in this situation.

(10-07-2023, 06:41 PM)Frankly Wrote:  Not that I can't conceive of situations in which someone COULD get hurt, but I never really saw a plausible report of such happening.

There have been several reports of injuries. Now that this is in the media, there may be many more.

(10-07-2023, 06:41 PM)Frankly Wrote:  the internet is astir with class action suits

Most likely something will come of these, because lawyers do what makes money for lawyers. Shimano has a lot of money. It is a way for lawyers to get some of it.
(10-07-2023, 06:41 PM)Frankly Wrote:  
(10-01-2023, 03:41 PM)Lss555 Wrote:  Damn that’s a rough callback, kind of late it seems too

There are only two reasons for taking your Dura Ace or Ultegra back for a new one:

If this was actually a problem, Shimano would have done something a long time ago. Just remember that Shimano came up with just about every improvement in bicycle components since they opened their doors be it the Freehub, Brifters or electronic shifting.

While all of the internet is astir with class action suits you must first show actual measurable personal harm. I had one of those that started coming unglued and simply took it back and got a new one It made noise which is harmless. Not that I can't conceive of situations in which someone COULD get hurt, but I never really saw a plausible report of such happening.

I humbly submit that your knowledge of the problem is incomplete.

First of all, I was reading about these problems at least as far back as 2018. I forget exactly, to be honest, but essentially cyclists and, therefore, Shimano, have been aware of the problem for something like ten years.

The problem is not confined to sprinters and hill climbers with legs of oak. The problem is de-lamination AND corrosion, typically de-lamination fomented by corrosion. In some cases, it leads to the crank arm snapping.

I imagine the problem is worse in hot/humid environments and/or those with high salinity levels, such as close to the sea or subject to a lot of sweat. On top of that, a lot of people (many of them "experts") think it's okay to wash their bikes using regular dishwashing soap. I recently saw one or two YouTube videos by 'experts' giving that ridiculous advice. Regular detergents like this contain salts. I think you can see where I'm going with this...

So, don't pooh-pooh the problem if you don't have sufficient data (like, for example, mechanics working in busy high-end bike shops).

Possibly Related Threads...