Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Can't remove Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SL ISIS
Hello everyone, I have a big trouble in removing my old bb Truvativ Giga Pipe Team SL ISIS. First I removed one crank from non drive side and tried to unscrew the cartridge with bbt-18 tool. As I correctly understand it's unscrewing towards the front wheel on both sides, is it correct? But I'm using the enormous force to do this and no luck. I used WD-40 but no luck at all. Maybe I'm doing something wrong? Should I do it first from the drive side? The reason I started from non-drive because I can't remove my crank on the drive side, it's the other story, because I can't unscrew it too. Sad My tool almost bending when I'm doing it and I do it to the right side - counter-clockwise. So are there any tips guys, or I need to send my frame to the workshop?

Thanks!
http://bikeride.com/replace-cotterless-cranks/

Watch this first, and see if it helps.
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
(01-24-2010, 12:58 PM)jr14 Wrote:  http://bikeride.com/replace-cotterless-cranks/

Watch this first, and see if it helps.

Thanks, but I already did it on the non drive side, the bolt was unscrewed ok and crank removed with crank remover tool. But on the drive side I can't do it Sad And the worst thing is that those are new cranks and bottom bracket, so no rust or other thnigs, they should remove preaty easy but...
Ok, so you're turning clockwise on the drive side, which is correct. If it's not coming off, then the only things I can think of, is that (a) it was over torqued when it was installed, or (b) it was cross threaded.

The only thing to do is get a cheater bar. Try an old seatpost, but if that's too small, go get yourself a big steel pipe, put it over the end of the wrench, and SLOWLY put pressure to the wrench.

You'll get a TON more leverage this way. It went in there, so it HAS to be able to come out.

Scientific fact.Big Grin
hi!
okay, i managed to remove form the non drive side...
but on the drive side no luck. Sad
Hello I do not know what the status of your Bottom Bracket is as of this time. Here is a link for a manual that may be of help to you. Looks like Truvativ is part of SRAM.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2005_gxp-05-r5-e.pdf
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
That tab makes me think you are running a Hammerschmidt crank. True?
jr,
See what gets me is that from looking at the pdf manual it shows it could be either English or Italian Threaded. So its possible he may need to turn it the other way. I even pulled this one up which is listed as a Gigapipe as well and it shows it could have either type of threading...

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2005_BB-GigaPipe-e-r2.pdf

If you want to look at all of them here is the place I am accessing them...

http://www.sram.com/en/service/truvativ/view.php?catID=1&subcatID=2
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(02-05-2010, 05:15 PM)Bill Wrote:  jr,
See what gets me is that from looking at the pdf manual it shows it could be either English or Italian Threaded. So its possible he may need to turn it the other way. I even pulled this one up which is listed as a Gigapipe as well and it shows it could have either type of threading...

Alright. Now THAT'S weird. I've never heard of a Giga Pipe Italian thread. Possibly available in another country? Where are you posting from teho?

I guess it's possible that the thread is Italian, but WHY IN THE WORLD would a modern company make an italian threaded Bottom bracket? It flies against all knowledge of WHY they reverse threaded it in the first place.

I was going to tell you to look at the barrel of the bottom bracket to see what the serial number was, but...you can't get it out, and that's the problemBig Grin

Alright...New tactic! As much as it pains you ( and me!), use that cheater bar again, but in the opposite direction. SLOWLY. If you have indeed been tightening it instead of loosening, its going to be torqued on there MIGHTY tight.

And you said the other side came off without a hitch, so I'm assuming (there I go again!Big Grin) that the threads were all greased up. So it should come off if it is indeed an italian threaded bottom bracket.

(edit) I just had a DUH! moment. Truvativ makes italian threaded bottom brackets, because some frame manufacturers are purists and still thread the shell italian style. <b>What brand is your frame?</b> We could figure this out faster if we knew the frame manufacturer and model.
It is why I love this website for each thread I reply to or just read I learn something new Big Grin .
Of course, it doesn't help that the original poster isn't writing back Big Grin
Hello guys! Thanks for the replys and link for the .pdf

Yeah, I looked too on that part italian or not... And that is the good question, I have dmr sidekick frame (english brand) and it has Euro bottom bracket, so I'm assuming it is NOT an italian threaded. By the way I wrote to the dmr tech support and they answered me, that bottom bracket is loosing towards the FRONT wheel on BOTH sides, so I'm loosing it to the right side. I hope... So I think I will write again to them, maybe they are mistaken or something, something happens, but I already used almost everything with a huge amount of force, he-he, but no luck... Thanks for the advices, guys, maybe I try to unscrew it to another side very slowly, see what will get.
BTW I'm from Russia Smile
That is rather odd and interesting. Both sides toward the front. Try going the other way to see if it will go. Glad to have someone from Russia here Smile . Let us know. There is another thread that I really do not hope you have to end up doing....

http://forums.bikeride.com/thread-131.html
I just wrote DMR myself to find out hopefully I will have an answer for you soon Smile .
In the photo there is some "blue" colour around the left (removed) side of the BB.
What is that?
Is it threadlock by any chance or just paint?.
If so then that's may be why it's very hard to undo.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Who in the hell would put blue locktite on a bottom bracket? Anti-seize, teflon tape, and good old grease I've heard of. But loctite?! I'd be unhappy if I were you and that was loctite.
If it is LocTite then that changes things a little bit. I agree with both of ya that if someone did use that they're insane lol. Hopefully it is just a fancy washer/spacer or something lol. Nice observation .
Well, blue loctite is medium strength, so its not impossible (if it is loctite), just REALLY hard.

Hopefully its just some weird, blue, UK grease.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is a blue grease and made right here in the US for Electric motors. I found this.. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5XB54
Are you kidding? Blue grease isn't bad news, its good news, under the assumption its available in the UK. That means it COULD be blue grease.Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Last Post: Bill

09-24-2008, 04:35 PM
Last Post: McLovin