Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Best Type of Drop Bar
I am currently looking into switching over to an Anatomic Bar from a Compact bar. I would like to have more comfort and control in the drops. I find that the rounded drops cut off circulation while in the drops, even when you use something like Specialized Bar Phat (which I have and use). What is everyone's bar of choice here and why?

Is there anything I should know about anatomic bars before jumping in?

I have seen some people complain they can't reach the levers, but it always looks like it's cause their lever position is to blame.

I can't say I'm super worried about that. I would mind the reach forward, so long as it allows me to grind comfortably while down in the gallows.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm curious to hear what bike fitters have to say about this, do we have bike fitters here?
(01-14-2024, 09:39 AM)meamoantonio Wrote:  I'm curious to hear what bike fitters have to say about this, do we have bike fitters here?

I have fit people before. The main issue other than frame size is all about personal preference. If I was to "fit" someone for a bike that is just getting the basic frame height and reach figured out, I only got 1/2 the problem solved. Saddles and handlebars are personal preferences based on physique, riding posture/style, type of terrain, etc. You can set up bike up "perfectly", but if someone changes how they ride, be it posture, road/trail condition, average distance, etc. then the "perfect" set-up is perfect no more. I don't care what type of fit you do, how long it takes, or how much is spent doing it. I would have the same issues myself; but I have my shorter distance road bike, long distance road and touring bikes, hill climbing bike, cross trainer/path racer bike, casual commuter bike, etc., etc.
It not that someone needs ten bikes, but if they are going to ride one bike in vastly different ways then you cannot expect to be able to set up a bike for all conditions unless you want to be changing out parts regularly and/or re-adjusting its set-up.
My road hill climber has slightly longer cranks and a shorter top tube because I want more leverage and a certain position in relation to the cranks and bar when out off the saddle; I would feel a bit cramped if just using it for long distance riding on flats where I like to be stretched out and have a decent drop on my bar for aero effect.
Ergonomic bars are only as good as the person they fit. Most amateur riders don't need to worry about aerodynamics if just going for a 30 minute ride or short commutes, and even if doing longer rides I don't see people in the drops hardly ever. My 1 hour plus rides are about 50% in the drops, most people could use a flat bar and be just fine.
Bar type/rise/drop/width/angle; seat post offset; crank length; saddle type/set-up, stem drop/rise/length, etc. are often going to be needing changes if you do not ride in a fairly consistent manner. I do not even bother with doing a fit anymore for people since I primarily only sell frames with BB's and headsets. If the the buyer gets the wrong size frame it's on them; and its on them to get the specific components to fit their needs and body. I might get a you a perfect frame for your size, but if I put too long or toi short a stem on it or bar type then you might think I sold you a frame not fit for you, and I do not need that headache. Let the buyer deal with it on their own. I may give some advice, but I will not say get this or that, in this or that size, etc. because it is too personal from one rider to the next. Easier to set-up a bike for a serious racer than a casual rider. I fit multiple saddles for a friend's bike I built. He would ride it and everything was fine. Then he started riding it longer distances and I needed to swap out saddles until he was comfortable, changed bar height, changed post offset, changed tires, changed gearing. Heck, I could have built him that "new" bike in the first place considering all the changes I made to it, or just built-up 2 separate bikes had I know that he was planning on using the one for vastly different conditions.
That being said, the only one who can determine that is the rider. Get what you feel serves you not what another person says if it involves one's individual characteristics.
If I say that handlebar is great, I love it, it works for me, etc. and then you buy one and hate it; does it mean the bar is bad, does it mean I was wrong? No! It just means we are different and what suits one person does not necessarily suit another. That is why I think all this "high tech" and costly fitting is ludricrous for casual riders, and serious riders should already know what would generally suit them or not in most cases after being given a basic fit. I ride bikes that are not even close to my optimal size (ST 52cm c-c; TT 54cm c-c) because I can and I kbow how to set them up for me. Can someone else ride from a 49cm to a 60 cm frame? Maybe, maybe not; but I still can based on my personal knowledge and needs.
I won't even get into the psychology I could use on people after fitting them "properly" just to get them gone knowing that no matter what I did, right or wrong, I could steer them into accepting what "I thought" was right for them even knowing they were not getting a correct size, set-up etc. Why do we have "athletes" doing insurance ads, food ads, etc. ? They are not experts, but apparently they know your tastes, and the sheep will follow someone just because they are led. I refuse to do that.

Yes, buy that handlebar, it's perfect for you, I love it, see me use it, it's great. I could probably sell someone a handlebar for a unicycle if I wanted to.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
That's a lot of detail. I have never upgraded my bars from stock. Whatever comes with a quality bike has always been fine.
Thank you for the input gentlemen.

Your experience is always impressive Jasper.

I guess I too will have to let experience decide for itself.
(01-18-2024, 02:01 PM)ReapThaWhirlwind Wrote:  Thank you for the input gentlemen.

Your experience is always impressive Jasper.

I guess I too will have to let experience decide for itself.

If you are allowed to test one out that would be optimal; it might be the perfect fit, or it might not.
Take care,
Jesper

making the switch from a Compact bar to an Anatomic one can seriously change up your hand position, giving you more comfort and control, especially in the drops. Anatomic bars are built to have a flatter, more ergonomic drop section
Ive seen some riders have trouble reaching the brake levers with Anatomic bars. No biggie, just make sure your brake levers are set up at an angle that lets you reach them easily from the drops.
Ride on! 🚴‍♂️✌️
(01-21-2024, 02:28 AM)Talha Wrote:  making the switch from a Compact bar to an Anatomic one can seriously change up your hand position, giving you more comfort and control, especially in the drops. Anatomic bars are built to have a flatter, more ergonomic drop section
Ive seen some riders have trouble reaching the brake levers with Anatomic bars. No biggie, just make sure your brake levers are set up at an angle that lets you reach them easily from the drops.
Ride on! 🚴‍♂️✌️

You are certainly correct. Of course if one really does not ride in the drops it might make it negligible. It depends on duration of the riding, size/shape of hands, how bar is angled, etc. If you have to move brakes for lever accessibility you may end up with them in a position where you cannot suitably ride on hoods which I like to have as my secondary aero position and resting position. Again, it matters where you plan on riding your bar the most.
I just did a 27 mile commute ride into a 10mph headwind uphill (minor grade) and stayed in the drops for the entire ride (normally only 50% or so for a commute type ride). That was not for the sake speed, but for the extra effort from combined relative wind being created (approx. 25-28mph). My speed remained the same, but I conserved a lot of energy compared to if I maintained my speed riding the top of the bar (which my "new" bike's bar really does not afford anyways). At my age I certainly feel it in my wrists, but I would not know if another bar, whether or not, of "anatomic/ergonomic" design would have specifically helped me or not until doing the same ride with the same conditions. Temperature (low to mid 40sF) played a big part in my discomfort more than hand position since I do longer rides in warmer weather without the same issue. Thus, again making it difficult to determine if component change(s) made as much of an improvement as the change in riding conditions; but that's just me. Others are not going to have the same effects/results.
Take care,
Jesper

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

12-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Last Post: Jordan300

06-16-2010, 03:24 PM