Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Tire bead won’t seat into rim
I bought a Tamobyke V20. Both the front and rear tire beads slide off the rim when inflating much at all. How do I get them to sit in there where they belong? Pics attached ty!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Seat the tire, and try inflating slower.

Normally, you check the bead seat by squeezing the tire while inflating.
(04-02-2024, 10:42 PM)Blackstronaut Wrote:  I bought a Tamobyke V20. Both the front and rear tire beads slide off the rim when inflating much at all. How do I get them to sit in there where they belong? Pics attached ty!!!

if you release some air and push it back in then inflate it again does it still pop out like this on the same spot or does it slide off in another spot?
You might need to inflate the tire in stages.

E.g.:

1. inflate to 20psi. Go around the circumference of the wheel, massaging the sidewalls to help the beads seats. You can also try bouncing it lightly on the floor and/rolling rolling it back and forth while applying a little pressure with your hand to push the tire into the floor.

2. Add another 10 psi and repeat the above process.

3. Continue the above steps until you hear the 'twang' or snapping sound of the bead seating. You might have to go up to or slightly (a few psi, not 20% etc) over the tire's max rated pressure to get the beads to seat.

4. If that doesn't work, try fitting the tire in a different position (ie. with the logo aligned with a different spot on the rim.

5. If that doesn't work, I would assume the wheel is out of spec (i,e, the rim is smaller than it's supposed to be. And/or the tire is out of spec and too big.

Having said all of that, my advice is to send this bike back, get a refund, and find a bike worth having. I expect the problems to continue with this bike.
I checked to see what this bike/bike company is all about. If, per their own information, you should not have any problems with it and if purchased directly from their distribution centers (Netherlands, Canada) you will have lifelong technical support, but no support at all if purchased 3rd party.
This bike is nearly 85 lbs; brakes seem inadequate for that much weight, especially with a heavier rider/load (max load 331 lbs).
I sent this to their "contact us" page: "Where is the bike frame manufactured? Where is the motor manufactured? Where is the battery manufactured? I cannot view clearly from photo; does the frame actually have suspension in the rear, or is it just the the seat that is receiving shock absorption? What brand and model are the brakes? What model(s) are the Shimano components? What was the loaded weight for testing the range? What is the lowest operable temperature?"
I will be curious as to what reply I receive since all questions should be easy to answer by the company without obfuscation.
I believe they stated that about 80000 of their bikes have been sold. Company (Qmwheel) started 2014, but not sure when actual sales began.
Battery pack listed at $400 so I hope it lasts a couple years or more with high usage or you will be buying 50% of the bike's cost when needing replacement. This is why I strongly urge buyers to make a deal to receive a spare pack upon purchasing; both for having another ready charged battery for immediate use and/or range extension (if feasible to carry it on the bike); but also for $ savings since I doubt that pack will be going down in price in the future and to avoid problems with availability when one is needed. Note: charge time 5-7 hrs so you are kind of stuck if heading out and riding until it has no power. Even with a 7 speed manual drivetrain, I doubt many e-bike folks (often suffering from a physical disability, and/or quite old, overweight or not in adequate physical condition stamina wise) will want or be able to pedal an 80+ pound bike very far (I know someone who cannot pedal a 25 pound bike 1 mile on flat terrain and is not a smoker); and even those of us who cycle fairly regularly will not want to or be able to ride very far efficiently. I know how far I can ride a 50 pound bicycle with minimal cargo but most have no clue as to the effort it takes to do so in the best road and weather conditions.

Folks are not doing diligent research or asking questions (I am, and I am not even in the market for an e-bike!) regarding these issues when purchasing, and companies are not providing specific detailed information needed for buyers to make a truly educated purchase of their products. We all need to expose the shortcomings in the e-bike industry/market since in the coming years there will be thousands of companies out there; some selling great products at a decent price, and others selling quickly made "cookie cutter" (e.g. Vilano, et al.) bikes under various brand names out of warehouses without good quality and/or customer support.
Take care,
Jesper

"I am become Death, the destroyer of bicycles." NJS
I have not received a reply from the company Qmwheel. Kind of scary when they cannot or will not answer some simple questions. That does not bode well for those needing tech support/customer service. Red flag number one!
Take care,
Jesper

(04-05-2024, 08:29 PM)Jesper Wrote:  I have not received a reply from the company Qmwheel. Kind of scary when they cannot or will not answer some simple questions. That does not bode well for those needing tech support/customer service. Red flag number one!

I've emailed many similar Chinese companies in the past. Most of them do eventually reply but the quality of the answers generally reflects the overall poor quality of the product.
(04-07-2024, 03:36 PM)enkei Wrote:  I've emailed many similar Chinese companies in the past. Most of them do eventually reply but the quality of the answers generally reflects the overall poor quality of the product.

Still no response from them. I figured as a "smaller" company supposedly based in North America and Europe a reply would be forthcoming without much delay; especially since they encourage direct ordering through the distribution centers in order to receive full support for the product. The fact that they have not replied reflects on how long it would take them to reply to any issue related to their product.

Just seeing this wheel issue might be something to cause another potential buyer from purchasing from them, and now they are not responding to someone trying to get information related to their product via their own website. Very poor business model. I hope the owner's bike has no other issues.
Take care,
Jesper

(04-02-2024, 10:42 PM)Blackstronaut Wrote:  I bought a Tamobyke V20. Both the front and rear tire beads slide off the rim when inflating much at all. How do I get them to sit in there where they belong? Pics attached ty!!!

Are these hookless rims? If so try using steel beaded tires.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Bill