Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Next Powerclimber
I know everyone is gonna wander why bother, but it is a restoration project. Here right now I am posting before pic then when I am done will post an after.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
That is definitely a before picture, Bill. I can't wait to see how the project develops.

Ride on.
Lobo
OLD BIKES RULE!
Yea Lobo that was a before Smile,
Just wanted to update this as of now I have the wheels taken off, headset completely torn down, bottom bracket assembly taken apart, and the brake/drive train will be next.

Problems:
The chain was completely froze up (rust-a-thon going on).
Fork Suspension worn out - Has no more bounce (all cheap MTB Suspension uses springs only).
Drive side crank thread (for removal) stripped using park CCP-2 (No harm on the crank removal too threads, VERY COOL!).
Stem bolt wedge split due to cheap metal and rust.
Full Suspension mediocre, but will replace.
Wheel set rusted, spokes in good shape, internal hub overhaul will be performed.

Mechanical Work to be performed:
*Note I have another Powerclimber for certain parts that I will be using*
Chain was freed up using WD-40 and stiff link procedure shown on this site
Fork suspension will be replaced from extra bike.
Drive side crank will be replaced.
Spare headset assembly will be used
- Headset caged bearings will be soaked, cleaned, and inspected before reinstall
- Race cups show no wear or pitting.
- Different Stem/Wedge Bolt
Full suspension spring replacement (extra in great shape)
Wheel set
- Surface rust removal (procedure shown on this site)
- Truing/Tension check on both
- Internal hub overhaul on both
- Tire replacement
- Tube inspection
- Bearings will be replaced with new Grade 25
- Races and cups will be inspected
Bottom Bracket
- Axle was not bent or worn
- Bearings in good shaped (caged type)
- Races and Cups in good condition
- Cranks need surface rust removed
- Pedals, although cheap, are in great condition
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Have fun Bill just take your time and all will go well. Are you going to repaint it? Working on a bicycle can be addicting.
(02-15-2010, 11:26 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  Have fun Bill just take your time and all will go well. Are you going to repaint it? Working on a bicycle can be addicting.

I thought about, give me an excuse to get a sprayer attachment for my compressor lol. Not sure, I may just give it away to some kid around the block for something to ride this spring lol. Addicting?, who me? Nah Never! Bill thinks..."Hmm think I will run down to the workshop as soon as I am done here!". Lol just kidding yea it can be but its VERY VERY FUN!!! Wink
UPDATE:
All the work above has been completed. All that has to be done is some fine tuning and assembly. Pictures of the restored (or resurrected lol) will follow tomorrow.
Now after a full month's of work (well interrupted constantly) I finally finished this Bottom end MTB. Not really gonna go into detail of every little thing I did, but I will answer any questions. I do asked you go back to the top and look at the Before pictures and remember I got this bike after it sitting on a farm in the weather for at least 4yrs (what I was told). Any one can take a bike that is considered dead and fix as this is proof and to tell the truth I really did not spend too much money doing this. So here it is born again into a new life.....
Oh forgot to say I did take it for a ride and it handle VERY nice!
I love the "Shimano Equipped" decal on the chainstay, like Shimano never made anything bad.Sad
Dedicated scholar of bicycles
(03-08-2010, 05:58 PM)jr14 Wrote:  I love the "Shimano Equipped" decal on the chainstay, like Shimano never made anything bad.Sad

Couple days late on following this up lol but the vid I did the derailler help on was the one off of this bike. I agree Shimano is awesome.
Good news on this one, it sold and it is still holding up to the abuse of the rider! (That is his words not mine lol.)
Another great job Bill, but I do wonder why you don't get hold of something more worthy of your skills and the effort you put into it. You can pick up some really nice 70s, 80s and 90s road and mountain bikes that would be really desirable once restored, whether you intend selling them or keeping them.

Take a look here for some really nice restoration projects: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/
(08-15-2010, 10:17 PM)xerxes Wrote:  Another great job Bill, but I do wonder why you don't get hold of something more worthy of your skills and the effort you put into it. You can pick up some really nice 70s, 80s and 90s road and mountain bikes that would be really desirable once restored, whether you intend selling them or keeping them.

Take a look here for some really nice restoration projects: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/

Well easy answer was one of my first and if I screwed it up then I really was not out anything hehehe Smile .
(08-15-2010, 11:01 PM)Bill Wrote:  
(08-15-2010, 10:17 PM)xerxes Wrote:  Another great job Bill, but I do wonder why you don't get hold of something more worthy of your skills and the effort you put into it. You can pick up some really nice 70s, 80s and 90s road and mountain bikes that would be really desirable once restored, whether you intend selling them or keeping them.

Well easy answer was one of my first and if I screwed it up then I really was not out anything hehehe Smile .

Wow! 30 days! Nice Work! Is there a "post pics of your shop/tools here"? I'd like to see where you work.

I agree with above with your skills I wouldn't be surprise if you are producing some REALLY nice restos (quality work on quality/collectible/unique/antique cycles) moving forward.

Look forward to more in future.
hey im trying to build one of these for my friend i have the frame and most of the parts between the two i have, but i still need a rear wheel sprocket and a front fork
i think you did a great job on this and i hope you can help me
Most of the Next Power Climbers have the same front suspension fork. The extra one I had is being used for a project I am working on. As far as the rear sprocket how many gears are on it?
Wanted to update this one as history of one of my projects are important. This same bike has changed hands a few times and still on the road today. Does not look as good as this but still out there. Big Grin . Not bad for a low end bike.
A testament to your mechanical prowess I am sure!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
definitely food for thought!!!!!!
Where can I get a replacement crank for this one? The threads for the pedal stripped out.
Where you from? Location wise?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post