Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Rear Derailleurs And Down Tube Shifters
If you have a Surly LHT and want to change to down tube shifters you will have to change out your rear derailleurs first. Because the one that is use with the LHT you have no way of adjusting it after you install the down tube shifters. I found this out before I started. So it made my change out pretty easy to set it up. It also cleans up the front end of your bicycle I think not as many cables running all over the place. I will try to post pic soon its to cold here to take them now lol. It might have been cheaper to build my own LHT as to replace all the parts I wanted to use on it. But I have had a lot of fun working on it this way too.
What kind of rear derailleur has "no way of adjusting"?
The Shimano XT RD-M770/M771 Rear Derailleur this one did not have a adjusting on it so I had to order one that did and got a Deore M591 SGS Long Cage Rear Derailleur for it. If you have a 2009 model Surly LHT then it does not have a adjusting for it on the derailluer the adjusting is done on the down tube because it had the bar end shifters on it but I wanted the down tube shifters so I had to get a new derailluer for it hope this helps you out a little I'm not sure if the new Surly LHT have the same derailluer or not but now my bicycle is set up the way I like it.
This will give you a better look at what you was asking me about the derailleur the first pic will be the Deore XT the old one I took off.The next one is the one I have on it now its a Deore M591
This should let you know what to look for if you ever want to do this change out.
Lets hope this does not spark a trend for all newer models of bikes to having, "Adjustment/Maintenance Free" aka JUNK CRAP for us mint for the parts industry!!! Sad
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(02-18-2010, 05:07 PM)Bill Wrote:  Lets hope this does not spark a trend for all newer models of bikes to having, "Adjustment/Maintenance Free" aka JUNK CRAP for us mint for the parts industry!!! Sad

Na Bill the reason they do that is to save weight lol like it going to be so heavy. And to top it all off I got the last few parts I wanted today in the mail. But as luck would have it I am very sick the last few days here. But just as soon as I get well you bet I will finish my Surly LHT and at last start to go riding well as soon as it gets a little warmer I will anyway. It goes to show you you have to really look at what you want to get and make sure it will work out for you in the end.
(02-18-2010, 07:12 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  
(02-18-2010, 05:07 PM)Bill Wrote:  Lets hope this does not spark a trend for all newer models of bikes to having, "Adjustment/Maintenance Free" aka JUNK CRAP for us mint for the parts industry!!! Sad

Na Bill the reason they do that is to save weight lol like it going to be so heavy. And to top it all off I got the last few parts I wanted today in the mail. But as luck would have it I am very sick the last few days here. But just as soon as I get well you bet I will finish my Surly LHT and at last start to go riding well as soon as it gets a little warmer I will anyway. It goes to show you you have to really look at what you want to get and make sure it will work out for you in the end.

First let me wish you fast recovery. Smile Next, I see where you are going now. Very true as far as weight. Some like the ultra lightweight some don't (I like the weight for more of a workout.). Again get well soon.

Bill
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Well, they do that cause they don't need it on bikes that have real shifters Wink
(I have downtube shifters on my Peugeot but only because I don't want to spend the money on the upgrade to STIs + I have brakes (Mafac centre pulls) that will probably not work with new levers)
Hi Surly LHT,
I'm looking at building my first LHT after buying a complete bike earlier this year. I want to install downtube shifters on this one, in regards to the rear derailleur, does the issue only come up because you're going from bar-ends to downtubes? If you're building from scratch, do you still have to buy the Deore M590 instead?

I am looking at the following components for the drivetrain.

Shimano FC-4503 Tiagra Triple Cranksets - 165mm
Shimano FC-4500/4550 Tiagra Bottom Bracket Cups - English 68mm
Shimano FD-4503 Tiagra Triple Front Derailleur - 28.6/31.8mm
Shimano RD-M771 XT Rear Deraillier - SGS - Long Cage
Shimano Deore CS-M510 Cassette - 11-34 9 spd
Sram PC-971 Chain

Thank you,
Sean
(11-19-2010, 06:15 PM)seansaito Wrote:  Hi Surly LHT,
I'm looking at building my first LHT after buying a complete bike earlier this year. I want to install downtube shifters on this one, in regards to the rear derailleur, does the issue only come up because you're going from bar-ends to downtubes? If you're building from scratch, do you still have to buy the Deore M590 instead?

I am looking at the following components for the drivetrain.

Shimano FC-4503 Tiagra Triple Cranksets - 165mm
Shimano FC-4500/4550 Tiagra Bottom Bracket Cups - English 68mm
Shimano FD-4503 Tiagra Triple Front Derailleur - 28.6/31.8mm
Shimano RD-M771 XT Rear Deraillier - SGS - Long Cage
Shimano Deore CS-M510 Cassette - 11-34 9 spd
Sram PC-971 Chain

Thank you,
Sean

I know I'm late getting back to you but you will need to get a different RD get the one I have shown here. And my down tube shifters works great too. I also built my self another touring bicycle it's the Nashbar bicycle frame and fork cost about 150.00 plus all the other parts too lol. If I was going to build my self a LHT I would go with a 26,36,46t chainring with a 11-32 cassette that's what I put on my other touring bicycle that I built it rides better than my LHT up hills. And it is pretty fast too. I bet you are done with your build but if not find out all you can before you buy parts even tho I did take my time on my nashbar build I still goof a little. I may have about 1600.00 in it all together. That with a good set of wheels 700c A 719 rims too. Here is a pic of it.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
(02-19-2010, 03:50 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Well, they do that cause they don't need it on bikes that have real shifters Wink
(I have downtube shifters on my Peugeot but only because I don't want to spend the money on the upgrade to STIs + I have brakes (Mafac centre pulls) that will probably not work with new levers)

Wow missed this post. Anyways I see what you meant Joe_W. Some money in the shifter end means you don't have to piddle around with the rear derailler!
Guys - I must say, "It Ain't So, Joe". Smile Not referring to Joe_W.

Check out the Jagwire site for 'In-line Cable Adjusters' and you'll see what I mean. http://www.jagwireusa.com/index.php/products/road/accessories/
About half-way down the page. These are really sweet for retro-fitting a DT shifter setup to work with one of those silly new RDs with no adj bbl. And considerably cheaper than a new RD!

Silly Shimano.
BTW, Surly.. Those LHT (Long Haul Trucker) frames make very cool touring builds. I have one on my Wish List!
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)

I am afraid that the future is already here, Bill. Hydraulic brakes, electronic shifting, super-powerful magnetic clipless pedals with 360 degrees of float (okay, I made that last one up). Smile

What if there is a long-term problem with the electrical grid and we can't charge our batt's or refine any more brake fluid? Like an EMP attack or something.

Now is the time to stock up on cables, housing, brake pads, chains, ammunition and freeze-dried scrambled eggs! Oops! I'm in the wrong forum -
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
LMAO! Yes I know it is here and I am adjusting to it Sad .lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

01-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Alex Ramon