Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Swap Handlebars
Hi- is it feasible to swap out handlebars? I have a mountain bike, but need to sit upright due to neck problem. Does it make sense to get "cruising" style handle bars for it?
No problem usually swapping bars.
The only thing you must do is match the stem clamp size.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html#stem

You might also consider getting a riser stem to lift the bars as well?
Ride hard or ride home alone!
I was also concerned about the cables possibly being too short for the cruising style handlebars. Is it a big deal to replace them?
You may get into shorter cable problems but that is something we really cannot say at this time not knowing which handlebars you are going to switch to. You can measure them as shown on Alex's tutorial here, http://bikeride.com/replace-cable-housings/ . Then again I would wait until you get the handlebars you want to assess if you will have problems. It is not hard to replace them though.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
It's no big deal to change cables if they are too short.
The front will need new inner and outer.
The back may need the first section of outer and a new inner.
The other outer sections on the rear will be O.K.
It just depends on how much slack there is in the existing ones will decide if you need to change.
Take a note of how you remove the old ones and it's just a reverse for installation.
I am fixin to swap handlebars on my '09 FXD. These stock ones just kill my wrists they aren't perpendicular enough to the line of the bike itself. Got some different handlebars on the way someone offered to me. Now, I looked in the H-D service manual and it said to remove the clutch and brake stuff. Here is where I am confused for the brake master cylinder it said to go to that chapter and follow the directions there - but that chapter has me draining the master cylinder and doing all kinds of stuff.
If you just want to remove the handlebar you just loosen the screws holding the levers in place and slide them off. (Well, assuming the brake systems tubes are long enough).
(06-11-2010, 03:57 AM)sherloklewis Wrote:  I am fixin to swap handlebars on my '09 FXD. These stock ones just kill my wrists they aren't perpendicular enough to the line of the bike itself. Got some different handlebars on the way someone offered to me. Now, I looked in the H-D service manual and it said to remove the clutch and brake stuff. Here is where I am confused for the brake master cylinder it said to go to that chapter and follow the directions there - but that chapter has me draining the master cylinder and doing all kinds of stuff.

Possibly no need to drain the master cylinder. Just make sure you keep it upright while changing the bars. Although it probably really doesn't matter as the bike is likely to get laid down sometime.
If there is not enough slack in the plumbing to remove the cylinder then loosen and slide the bars across to opposite side .

Possibly Related Threads...