Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

How to remove a wheel with a torpedo sachs 3 speed hub
Hello again,

While repairing my bike I took the one of my girlfriend... and yes, I succeeded in breaking backwheel chainring.

This is a old TORPEDO SACHS 3 SPEED (SACHS as now become SRAM).

The first step I need to take in order to inspect the hub, is to remove the back wheel.
There is this little chain entering the hub (that command the speeds) that is fixed to the speed cable through a small plastic box. You can see it clearly on the attached picture.

Can anyone explain me how to disconnect this little chain from the cable in order to be able to remove the wheel?

Thanks a lot,

Ox

NB I'm not too sure if that torpedo 3 speed hub was popular in "English" countries.
At a guess and referring to the photo.
Is there a screw at the right hand end of the black plastic part?
Look to see if that holds the cable.
I would also investigate how the small chain is fitted into the same black plastic especially looking at the metal part on the top of it.
On my old 3 speed hub, the small chain unscrewed from the cable and also from inside the axle.
Our 3 speed hubs were mainly "Sturmey Archer" but they went bust and are now produced in Taiwan.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
Yea I am with ya on that cycler, it looks like it has a screw to clamp it. Also you may have yo snip off the barrel end cover of the cable that is dangling.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
The rectangular black plastic part (Locator Sleeve) has an L-shaped metal catch to the rear. That is both the quick release and the adjuster mechanism. Squeeze it downwards and wiggle the threaded rod, which will then pull out.

Possibly Related Threads...