Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Back in the Saddle
Hi there from Dekalb, Illinois.

Just wanted to say hello, Ive been without a bike for a little more than 20 yrs and this past Friday I bought a Trek 7000 hybrid. I don't have it yet they didn't have the 22.5" frame that I wanted so it will be next week sometime.

I also bought with it a computer (wired) and a kickstand. Not sure if I'll leave the kickstand on or not but I figured I'd rather have it and not use it than want it and not have it.

Can't wait till it warms up here a bit so I can do some riding!

Glad I stumbled on the Bicycle Tutor lots of good stuff here.

Cheers!!
First off welcome. When you get your bicycle post pics of it. It's a great way to have fun.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
20yrs? Do not feel bad a lot of us were in the same boat. Trek will treat you well. Just prepare for the rear-end soreness, happens to the best of us Sad . Congrats on returning to riding Smile
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
Thanks for the comments. I will absolutely post some pics when I get the bike.

I'm hoping the seat on the bike from what I've read in some reviews is as good as they say although I see no way of avoiding some soreness. I'm just glad its not like some of those racing road bike seats yyyyoowwwza!!!!!!!! They look scary painful.
Actually they are much more comfy than the soft saddles. Explanation: http://sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html
You will get sore, don't worry Wink . Even after not riding for two or three weeks I get (a bit) sore and also when switching from thicker winter clothing to thin summer stuff, but this is only when I ride home after work the first day. It also takes me some rides to get accustomed to the different saddles on my bikes. When riding very hard, only my legs get tired since they support most weight then, so I try to pedal harder (while keeping up the cadence...).

What I wanted to write: It'll take some time, try to ride often but only short distances at first. When riding longer distances take brakes, get some ice cream (or hot chocolate) or look at some of the sights.
I am new to this site as well, but have been back riding again since Sep of last year. It has been great to get back into it but the weather is not cooperating with bearable conditions.

I recently purchased a Giant Defy 3 and let my 14 year old son take over a cheaper department store bike. It is nice to get out with him and share some "on the road" time.

Good luck in getting back into the swing of things.
DEGiantRider... I love my Gaint Trance MTB... i have been eyeballin the Defy, so how do you like it? I haven't got to ride one yet as I am in Iraq right now... but as soon as I get home, ill be looking to get a road bike. So whats the word?
(02-21-2010, 06:23 PM)Surly LHT Wrote:  First off welcome. When you get your bicycle post pics of it. It's a great way to have fun.

Ok here are a few pics of the new Trek 7000.

Can't wait for it to get warmer and dry outside!! Just not enough room in the house to get going good but I can do the living room to the kitchen at a max speed of about 5mph!!
First off, be safe until you get to come back. I'll be heading to that neck of the woods soon and leaving my new purchase hanging in the garage.

Due to the crappy weather around here, I haven't been able to put too many miles on it, 11 to be exact, but it rides like a dream. It rolls really smooth and I think when I get out on a good long ride I will have even more to say about it. It is very sturdy and all the equipment works like a champ. Definitely a bike I can keep for a few years. If you get one, you won't be disappointed.
Nice Bike Rudes Congratulations me too i can't Wait
(02-21-2010, 03:44 PM)Rudes Wrote:  Hi there from Dekalb, Illinois.

Just wanted to say hello, Ive been without a bike for a little more than 20 yrs and this past Friday I bought a Trek 7000 hybrid. I don't have it yet they didn't have the 22.5" frame that I wanted so it will be next week sometime.

I also bought with it a computer (wired) and a kickstand. Not sure if I'll leave the kickstand on or not but I figured I'd rather have it and not use it than want it and not have it.

Can't wait till it warms up here a bit so I can do some riding!

Glad I stumbled on the Bicycle Tutor lots of good stuff here.

Cheers!!

Same Here. Just started back riding after several years. My legs obviously need a work out to get back in shape. Keep moving !!! That's what keeps us alive. Wish you well.