Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon 3/24

Looking for a part !
Ok folks I need a little help here I have a new front derailleur and it is a bottom pull. I need the part that I can put to hold the cable on with the adjusting part. Or if any here know where I can get a top pull with this on it that would work too. This is an old AMF bicycle back in the 70s. It was giving to me by an older guy in the park here where we did live at one time. I think this is the last part I need to finish this bicycle up and get it back on the road again. Any help on this will be nice thanks.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Adjusting part? Hm, my Simplex FD has no adjusting part and worked quite nice (until the chain caught the broken cage and snapped it off the frame). I am not quite sure but I think most FDs have no barrel adjuster, it is usually not needed. You might be able to install a barrel adjuster somewhere, though.
I have seen an FD with an adjuster but they are very few.
I've not been able to locate any in the Web shops.
Most FDs don't have any integral adjustment as it's usually on the shifter or downtube.

If the front shifter is friction then just install the cable with no slack and the shifter will do the rest.
If the shifter is an indexing version then you will need to make some arrangement for adjusting the cable if there is none on the shifter.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
(02-24-2010, 04:38 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  I have seen an FD with an adjuster but they are very few.
Most FDs don't have any integral adjustment as it's usually on the shifter or downtube.

If the front shifter is friction then just install the cable with no slack and the shifter will do the rest.
If the shifter is an indexing version then you will need to make some arrangement for adjusting the cable if there is none on the shifter.

cyclerUK you are right the old ten speed had them or this bike did.And I have not found one any where.But I think I have a way to get it going I will have to make one my self.Its not that I need the adjusting thing on it.I just need a stop for the cable.I got stupid and when I took the old one off I put it in the trash before I took a good look at it.lol But thanks to all that reply to for my help.Can't wait to get to ride this bicycle again then got to ship it back to a friend that gave it to me wish I could see his face when he see it again it will look all new again.
(02-24-2010, 04:38 AM)cyclerUK Wrote:  I have seen an FD with an adjuster but they are very few.

cyclerUK you are right the old ten speed had them or this bike did.And I have not found one any where.But I think I have a way to get it going I will have to make one my self.Its not that I need the adjusting thing on it.I just need a stop for the cable.I got stupid and when I took the old one off I put it in the trash before I took a good look at it.lol But thanks to all that reply to for my help.Can't wait to get to ride this bicycle again then got to ship it back to a friend that gave it to me wish I could see his face when he see it again it will look all new again.
Ah, so you are installing the cable for the FD with housing... and now that you mention it: my simplex FD had a cable stop (just no adjuster, not needed for friction shifters). Head@desk...
I'd probably try to build something that attaches to the FD mounting bracket. Another option might be cable stops as are used on the down tube of frames w/o stops.
I have found this:-
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Suntour-Suntour-Band-On-Double-Down-Tube-Cable-Tunnel-and-Cable-Stop-1372.htm

It dosen't have an adjuster but would allow for the fitting of the outer housing.
You could try your LBS but you need to check the tube size.

Another option is to modernise the routing and fit an under bottom bracket guide similar to:-
http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Thorn-Club-Tour-Bottom-Bracket-Shell-Fitting-Plastic-Double-Cable-Guide-Kit-8628.htm

If you check on a new bike you will see how they route.
Again your LBS should be able to help.
Ride hard or ride home alone!
I thought more along the lines of http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cid/BXPRBET89HN7QN75SEWZ81QYNLLJ4CKR/product-Problem_Solvers-Backstop-Clamp-On-CNC-Twin-Slotted-Double-Downtube-Cable-Stop-18209.htm

(but I may have misunderstood the problem. Again.)
(02-24-2010, 10:04 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  I thought more along the lines of http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cid/BXPRBET89HN7QN75SEWZ81QYNLLJ4CKR/product-Problem_Solvers-Backstop-Clamp-On-CNC-Twin-Slotted-Double-Downtube-Cable-Stop-18209.htm

(but I may have misunderstood the problem. Again.)

Thanks Joe_W thats what I need ahh the help of people.
And it will look a lot better than if I made something lol.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

08-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Last Post: idrivebig

08-15-2017, 04:24 AM
Last Post: Squarewheel

01-09-2016, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Bill