Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Adult Trike Tandem with Trailer!
Ok everyone this is one that you will Definitely HAVE to check out!!! The story goes I picked up one of those bars that make a kids bike into a tandem with a regular 26". Also just yesterday I found a Baby carrier set out to the curb! So I first used the 26" with a 16", 18", and 20" bike with no problems. Then I was thinking how it would work with my Adult Trike. Well I tried all the above sizes and got experimental with an actual 26" bike. Great results. So I figured lets REALLY go the distance and hook up the baby trailer to the rear of the 26" MTB that hooked up to the trike. I can say with a Full Grown Cat in the trailer, 90 pound 10yr old on the 26" MTB, and myself on the adult trike i really could not feel the difference. The bad points well turning distance must be anticipated lol. It is harder on the brake pads and stress on the trike I would assume is not a good idea to do very long hauls. Other then that enjoy the view.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
A road train! I thought you only got those in the outback.... good job! However, I can imagine that the position on the 26" bike is a bit awkward as it is tilted to the front quite a bit.
Great Job Bill
Lol Joe!! All I would need to do is bring a boom up from the bottom and give it a little raise lol. It was pretty fun as I took it around the block.

Thanks Joe and tino.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
That's quite a sight Bill, nice work Smile
Thank you, was thinking something like a minute ago... ,"Need a tow to the nearest gas station lolololol!".
Hey thats great you got yourself a convoy all you need as CB. Great fun for the whole family, and isn't that what biking is good for. Looks like you can use the Roadmaster as a emergency vehicle with the extra wheel.

Recycling curb finds is great fun. I am guilty of same.
Never Give Up!!!
Very cool, but I'd watch out going downhill!
Seriously though, the fork of the bike looks very close to the ground. I'd worry that could catch on a bump in the road and send the rider over the bars. Any way to raise it up a little?
Check out the book, "Mud, Sweat, and Gears," by Joe Kurmaskie. He rode a bike a bit like this from Portland, Oregon, to Nova Scotia, hauling his three sons and a bunch of gear, while his wife rode her own road bike. Your pictures remind me of the bike he rode, which I saw recently at a bike show here in Portland.
@George Well I do have one just not installed (just kidding Big Grin ) .
@Dave Hehehe all I was doing was just testing it out. I did have a 20" BMX with a rider on that and it worked perfectly. The height issue you are correct about, If I put a pivoting support bar from the basket area that would more then like raise it a little.
@BCA I will check out that book as reading is one of my umm slow time hobbies Smile . Very long haul for that poor guy !
(05-20-2010, 10:00 PM)Bill Wrote:  @BCA I will check out that book as reading is one of my umm slow time hobbies Smile . Very long haul for that poor guy !

Hi Bill,

That "poor guy" had the time of his life with his family all the way across Canada. He lives here in Portland and I've spoken with him a time or two at bike shows. He's taken some amazing trips across the US with his kids and even across Australia solo. The book I mentioned is his most recent, but the others are fun reads, too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

11-23-2020, 03:51 AM
Last Post: Jesper

08-28-2019, 04:02 PM
Last Post: CharleyFarley

01-13-2015, 04:35 PM
Last Post: hcjg1