Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Super lube vs. Mobil 1 vs. Kendall
Looking for others opinions/advice on this. I watched many of Alex's tutorials on the site (excellent, very helpful by the way).

I have an old Fuji Suncrest MTB (circa 1991) that my parents got for me when I graduated college. This is pretty much the parts mine has http://www.anthonyalsberg.com/bike_spec/92_93/suncrest.html except that my rims are Ritchey (presta valve) and the headset says Ritchey Logic. It had seen many miles of recreational light trail/mud and some commuting use over the years. It also did a long stretch of not much use. It was always in either a shed or the garage not left in open areas. A bunch of years back I had taken most of the parts (headset, crank shaft, wheel bearings) apart and re-greased everything but it is now time to do it again. The bike still works well but I need to put some time & money into it so I can safely ride it more again.

On Alex's video he uses a clear Super Lube. I think I had used either Kendall super blue bearing grease or Mobil 1 (red colored) grease for grease guns. How do these compare viscosity/protection/resistance wise. Whichever grease it was would more than likely have been the same one I used for my car wheel bearings etc. which might be overkill for the MTB or maybe it's the same? I'll probably try to take all apart again with my son so he can help and learn. I'm very mechanically inclined and like projects like this. Just want to make sure I use something that would be best for this bike.

We just bought my 9 year old a 26" Schwinn Frontier GSX for his birthday. He likes to ride around the block a lot with his friends as well as his boy scout troop does camping trips that have mountain bike trails that we have done a couple times. I need to get my bike back in good shape so I can keep up with him (and my 6 year old daughter).
Hi
I have a 1982 BMW motorcycle and am on the airheads list. There is constant discussion there about best oils and greases. Motorcycles are harder on those lubricants.

IMO Just about any grease you have for automotive use is OK. I like to use Bel Ray waterproof grease. Synthetic greases like Mobil 1 are very good. If you just did the job you are fine, unless you want entertainment.

Ye for racing some specialty greases like teflon may have a slightly lower friction coefficient.

Some greases may not be compatible with each other so stick with one good brand.
Never Give Up!!!
As far as grease George is correct that automotive grease with water repelling properties is good. I'm no expert but the idea is to keep the bearings and moving parts from getting water into them and rusting and friction. Just do not use vaseline! As crazy as that sounds I have of people using it. Stay away from that kind of thing.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-11-2010, 02:32 PM)Bill Wrote:  As far as grease George is correct that automotive grease with water repelling properties is good. I'm no expert but the idea is to keep the bearings and moving parts from getting water into them and rusting and friction. Just do not use vaseline! As crazy as that sounds I have of people using it. Stay away from that kind of thing.

When we was little we use to wipe our cables with vaseline before we installed them,it worked good but no were near as good as modern lubes.
+1 to George's comments. The bicycle environment is so low stress compared to a car that any grease is fine. BUT, bike bearings can be exposed to a lot more moisture due to worse seals, etc. I'd say water resistance is probably the most important of the factors you list. But I wouldn't know how to rate the various greases you mention.
And also the mobil 1 grease is great,i use mobil 1 xhp 222 for bearings and xhp 322 for general use one is blue and the other grey
I haven't used White Lithium Grease on my bike yet, but that's what I'll use. It's thinner than the multi purpose Lithium grease. It seems to me that this is the closest thing to bicycle grease that I can find and until I'm totally convinced that WLG doesn't work, I'll stick with it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fork lube (+ others) ishvii 2 1,147 10-19-2017, 07:11 AM
Last Post: ishvii
  Ceramic wet lube for 3 speed hub? xcalibur 11 10,544 09-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Last Post: silverarrow
  What kind of lube/grease to use? cheasie 11 71,697 12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Last Post: Joe_W
  Chinese hardware store chain lube substitute? Aslenpollie 5 13,652 12-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Last Post: motormad
  Super Lube in the UK Dalton2250 2 12,576 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Dalton2250
  Schwinn Breeze Lube ButtercupGal 2 12,758 05-17-2011, 05:13 AM
Last Post: ButtercupGal
  What lube, where and why! mattyts 4 17,344 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM
Last Post: dave_sd
  Taking off wax lube jsschla 2 11,957 11-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Last Post: JohnnyCO
  White Lightning/Clean Ride Lube Surly LHT 3 14,256 10-29-2010, 03:14 PM
Last Post: mattyts
  I think ive found the perfect lube.... mattyts 11 26,162 10-29-2010, 03:11 PM