Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Clunk from rear
Three months ago I had my old bike repaired with new chain set, bottom bracket/bearing, chain, rear cassette and rear derailleur. Basically everything was replaced.

Recently I have been having a problem whereby I get a loud clunk when I start pedaling again after freewheeling, or when I am on a bumpy road.

It seems as thought he chain is catching on the next cog up on the rear cassette and then slipping back causing the noise (although I may be wrong).

Can anyone suggest what may be causing this? I have no problems with gear shifting and given the recent replacement of the parts I don't think this can be anything to do with worn parts.
It seems as thought he chain is catching on the next cog up on the rear cassette and then slipping back causing the noise (although I may be wrong).
This can be a cause of this noise and can usually be eliminated by adjusting the barrel adjuster, if you look from the rear at the chain in relation to the teeth you should be able to see it catching.
could the wheel be cock-eyed in the dropouts? sounds silly, but i like to examine the simple fixes first. this one would even be free!
Get on your bad pedalscooter and ride!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Clunk at top of Right pedal down stroke" Prof Young 6 8,179 08-20-2012, 03:03 AM
Last Post: Prof Young
  Rear clunk / donk liz 4 6,551 02-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Last Post: RobAR