Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

What lube, where and why!
Hey, ive seen a few threads round here saying what kind of lubrication to use and why etc so i thought id take time to do a write up to explain why what and where, i'll name each type of oil/grease and what its useful for so here goes:

Bearings (hubs, cranks and headsets):
For bearings I highly recommend grease, any grease is suitable as long as its meant for bearings, some popular ones are marine grease and automobile grease
The reason you need grease is because its metal on metal and at high speed you want something that will last long and be water resistant.

Cables (brake and derailers):
I highly recommend a light oil here, Tri flow is the best and i've been using this for many years, The reason you want this type of oil is because its thin and will penetrate parts of cables that greases and thick oils would simply not be able too, tri flow is obtainable from your local bike shop,if they do not stock tri flow they should stock something similar just ask!
You just need a few drops per cable when you install one and a few drops every week after that.

Pivot points (brakes and derailers):
For pivot points that often moves you need a medium weight oil that will penetrate but stay in place, tri flow will work but i've used motor oil and a bottle will last you forever, a few drops every time your bike gets wet or when the should be lubricated area becomes dry will have you shifting smoothly in no time.

Freewheels:
If anyones wondering why i didn't put this in the bearings sections its because its the least important bearing on your bike, it only comes into action when you're not pedal ling and simply coasting. you want a really thick oil here, i use gear oil meant for motorcycles (80 weight i think) and just a few drops every month, you know when you've lubricated it enough because the freewheel should be significantly quieter.

Threads screws and fasteners:
The last thing you want is your screws and threads seizing up and severely corroding so keep them lubed up to stop them fusing together, i use a copper based anti seize grease for this as its the best stuff around, i use park's and i've never had a stuck bolt while using it, all you need to do is put a bit on the thread every time you remove it.

Simples!
This is also a useful video by alex: http://bikeride.com/lubricants/
Will someone please recommend a brand for medium weight oil? I have some of the phils tenacious oil, but not sure i would consider it medium weight because of how sticky it is.
(10-28-2010, 05:34 PM)dave_sd Wrote:  Will someone please recommend a brand for medium weight oil? I have some of the phils tenacious oil, but not sure i would consider it medium weight because of how sticky it is.

phil wood tenacious oil is a light oil in my reckoning,by medium weight im referring to motor oil

(10w50 should do the trick)
(10-28-2010, 05:37 PM)mattyts Wrote:  phil wood tenacious oil is a light oil in my reckoning, by medium weight im referring to motor oil

(10w50 should do the trick)

medium weight oil? Mineral Oil.
Engine oil is much thicker (heavy weight).
You shouldn't have to lube new cables in new housings because the housings are lined with smooth plastic. It's not until the plastic starts wearing and dirt and grime get into the housing that you apply lube.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-19-2017, 03:11 AM
Last Post: ishvii

06-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Last Post: Dalton2250

09-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Last Post: nutpants