Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Cranky Old Globus
I recently moved to a new city, and yesterday I bought a crunchy old bike, which I intend to make work reasonably well again...

I will try to get some better "before" pics up soon, so everyone can see the cantankerous beast.

It's gears are buggered and the back wheel thinks it's a salsa dancer, but I shall make it sing again!

I may be buying a second bike this afternoon too. Apparently it's an old GDR make of bike from long before the Wall fell. Oh dear... is this the start of a trend?
From what I see it looks like am awesome project to fix up! You won't be sorry!
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(04-21-2011, 07:34 AM)Bill Wrote:  From what I see it looks like am awesome project to fix up! You won't be sorry!

Yes indeedilydoo! It is a beauty.
I must admit, I just got back from buying he second bike... Totally unnecessary really, but it's an old GDR make and it'll be useful to have a second when a: the Globus is in parts as I desperately try to teach myself how to fix the bent wheel, and b: when I have friends to stay so I don't have to get the damn U-Bahn!

The guy selling this blue bike gave me such a detailed story of how it belonged to his auntie and he didn't want someone to break it up for parts that I have had to name it... Say hello to Tante Blau, everyone.
Another fine bike bike you have there! They are correct DON'T break it up for parts! Awesome name Wink . As far as fixing your bent wheel there is a ton of people here that are really good at giving advice.
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
I saw the exact same bike for sale on eBay.de after I bought this one. Same colour, same rack at the back, same white highlights running parallel down the mudguards.

It was at 100€ and it wasn't on its last day! SO I think I got a bit of a bargain buying Tante Blau for fifty squid!

And I shall make good use of the folks on here...
Note To Self: seriously cool VC (Vintage/Collectible) specimen! Watch this thread.
Wheelies don't pop themselves. (from a QBP fortune cookie)
Right... I am looking at Cranky Old Mr Red... And I thought the constant clackerty-clack noise when turning the pedals was caused by a badly aligned front derailleur. I was wrong. THe chain most definitively isn't hitting it. But there is still the harsh clanking coming when the pedals turn.

DAMMIT! Why did I miss getting to the shops yesterday! I didn't get a chance to get any oil!

It's only when pedaling forward... is it, it CAN'T be the sound of the chain on the cog... can it?