Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Shimano derailer mix-match?
On my current setup I have an old, now no longer available shimano Tourney TY32 front derailer. Can i upgrade to a shimano deore or what would be compatible for my 2001 norco wolverine?

Thanks,
The Shimano shifters and dérailleurs are (almost) all compatible as long as the shifter has the same number of speeds as you have on the cassette in the rear it should be ok.
(07-12-2011, 12:32 AM)Wolfie Wrote:  On my current setup I have an old, now no longer available shimano Tourney TY32 front derailer. Can i upgrade to a shimano deore or what would be compatible for my 2001 norco wolverine?

Thanks,

Why do you want to upgrade the front derailleur? If it is in good shape, you will notice little if any difference.

Front derailleurs are little funny; Shimano's come in mountain (all for triple chainrings), road triples and road doubles. Unless there is a very good reason for a road front, stick with the mountain front derailleurs. Road models tend to be lighter, have less travel range, are more fragile, and more expensive.

The TY series was superceded by the Tourney group.
Nigel
Oops. Should read the post more thoroughly. I was talking rear dérailleurs on a question involving front dérailleurs, stoopid me.

Road FDs can accommodate larger chain rings (>50 teeth). The triple road FDs can go down to 30 teeth. MTB FDs cover a range between about 22 and 40something. I think that the improvements in the front dérailleurs together with the shape of the chain rings have been greater than in the rear. To really improve shifting you might want to get a new crank set as well.
Oh, and setup is really critical in the front.

Possibly Related Threads...