Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Gear slippage while in 7th, 14th and 21st gear
The subject line says it all. Slippage started approx. 3 months after purchasing the Huffy mountain bike. After reading the forums, I think the problem might be with the "High Gear Limit Stop". How cosmic of an adjustment is this? I really am worried about screwing it up.

This is my first post after lurking the board for a bit, hope someone here can help me.
look at the video: "How to Adjust Your Rear Derailleur"
Nigel
(08-31-2011, 03:35 PM)nfmisso Wrote:  look at the video: "How to Adjust Your Rear Derailleur"

Thanks for the reply. After reviewing the video, I don't think this is my problem. I took the rear wheel apart and the smallest sprocket is turning by itself, I tightened it up, but it still slips under stress. Is this a self locking sprocket or is a piece missing?
Cassette or freehub? If it is only three months after purchase: go back to the shop and tell them to fix it.
If it is a cassette you need the casette tool for tightening the lockring. If it is a freehub, it should unscrew in such a direction that it is tightened when pedaling.
(09-01-2011, 03:25 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  Cassette or freehub? If it is only three months after purchase: go back to the shop and tell them to fix it.
If it is a cassette you need the casette tool for tightening the lockring. If it is a freehub, it should unscrew in such a direction that it is tightened when pedaling.

Not sure, I am new at this. I beleive it is an Older Cassette Hub (non-lockring ring type freehub).
Cassettes generally have a lock ring.

Of the two different Shimano freewheels I have, and two different Sunrace freewheels; the two Sunrace (13-28 and 13-25) have a separate look ring; one Shimano (13-28) has a separate lock ring; the 14-34 Shimano has the smallest cog threaded on and no separate lock ring. All four are seven speed freewheels.

Here is what a seven speed cassette looks like:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B001VYK0HC/
note the lock ring that goes outside of the smallest cog.
ALSO NOTE: that not all freehubs accept 11T smallest sprockets; you are safe with a 12T smallest sprocket.
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...