Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
How can I tell if my helmet is old and I need a new one?
How can I tell if my helmet is old and I need a new one.
(03-26-2015, 05:05 AM)eastman Wrote:  How can I tell if my helmet is old and I need a new one.

If it looks good it is ok, they say to replace if crashed or straps are breached
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
I believe if you start to feel yourself uncomfortable in it, the time has come. And of course the look of the helmet - if its all scratched and whipped, its better to replace it.
(03-26-2015, 05:05 AM)eastman Wrote:  How can I tell if my helmet is old and I need a new one.

If you have to ask, replace it.

How valuable is your head?  
Nigel
It is recommended that motorcycle helmets be replaced after a crash or every five years. The Styrofoam lining which both helmets have degrades over time.

So if you had it over five years buy a new one. BTW consumers reports did bicycle helmet tests and some priced below $40 tested as good as the $150 ones. Just not as fancy.
Never Give Up!!!
CPSC also rates bike helmets
Nigel
If you find any cracks on your helmet then you should change it. Otherwise there is nothing wrong with bike helmet old age, as long as it's good enough to protect your head from hard crash.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is you favorite helmet and sunglasses tino 20 19,215 08-17-2011, 09:54 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Helmet Cameras SlimTim10 7 7,233 10-11-2010, 08:11 PM
Last Post: rockyraccoon