Bicycle TutorBicycle Tutor

Show off your bike!

Related video tutorials:
Fixing Stetched Brake Cable
when I was biking today, I stopped for a break, when I started up again, I didn't realize that my lock was caught on my back break cable. The brake is now really loose and won't engage. The cable still appeared to be attached in the same place, but is really loose. I tried tightening it by pulling more of the cable through, but this pulls through a few inches of cable and, when I turn the wheel, the rest of the brake cable becomes too taught and causes the brakes to engage. Any ideas?
(07-11-2015, 04:21 AM)Kteach Wrote:  when I was biking today, I stopped for a break, when I started up again, I didn't realize that my lock was caught on my back break cable. The brake is now really loose and won't engage. The cable still appeared to be attached in the same place, but is really loose. I tried tightening it by pulling more of the cable through, but this pulls through a few inches of cable and, when I turn the wheel, the rest of the brake cable becomes too taught and causes the brakes to engage. Any ideas?

I would replace the brake cable and it's sheath as they are inexpensive and go from there. Also have you set the shifter in the rest position for the smallest cog or gear to do the cable adjustment?
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(07-11-2015, 04:21 AM)Kteach Wrote:  when I was biking today, I stopped for a break, when I started up again, I didn't realize that my lock was caught on my back break cable. The brake is now really loose and won't engage. The cable still appeared to be attached in the same place, but is really loose. I tried tightening it by pulling more of the cable through, but this pulls through a few inches of cable and, when I turn the wheel, the rest of the brake cable becomes too taught and causes the brakes to engage. Any ideas?

Sounds like that originally the brake cable clamp was not tightened sufficiently before the incident.  And after, you pulled to much through.

My method is to adjust the barrel adjuster on the brake lever out about 3mm, make sure that the housing is properly seated at every location, loose the cable, hold the pads tight against the rim (sometimes requires a third hand), pull the cable thru, then tighten the cable clamp.  Finally, screw the barrel adjuster back in.  This will work if your rims are reasonably true (±0.25mm side to side wobble).
Nigel

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brake cable loose from barrel adjuster knl 0 3,431 07-22-2015, 10:43 PM
Last Post: knl
  Suggestions on fixing / changing this rear brake [pics included] Ivo 2 2,545 08-18-2014, 08:31 AM
Last Post: Ivo
  Fixing coaster brakes jlhoff350 2 4,815 03-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Last Post: cny-man
  Cantilever brake cable replacements - DIY assistance needed. theoUEA 1 4,528 10-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Last Post: DaveM
  Loss of brake cable tension livpoksoc 4 9,563 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Last Post: painkiller
  Tektro RL570 Brake Cable Installation.. v1ral 1 11,257 03-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Last Post: DaveM
  Cantilevers to v-brake cable? leon_in_uk 6 10,197 05-16-2010, 08:06 PM
Last Post: leon_in_uk
  Re: Brake Cable Ends Popping Out After Braking... hadokenstyle 4 12,600 02-25-2010, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Joe_W