Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Eddy Merckx frame question
I inherited a bike with an Eddy Merckx frame about a year ago.  I'm having trouble identifying the model.  I know the frame has been painted, but I don't know what the original colors were.  The paint job has obscured the serial number a bit, but it looks to be M9-6520.  This number doesn't appear on any of the online lists/resources I've identified.  I think it is from the mid- early-80s.  I was hoping that someone might identify some signature characteristics of the frame so I can learn a little about it.  

Also - is there any reason I shouldn't be riding this bike?  I have another aluminum frame bike I ride when it's wet or damp, but I prefer the Merckx for feel and sentimental reasons.  But, I'd hate to damage it.  I ride about 25-50 miles a week.

[Image: 2r59u6r.jpg]

[Image: 25phcwl.jpg]

Thanks in advance,
Arne
If you like it? Ride it. It's not good for anything else.
"Where ever we go, there we are"
(09-18-2015, 11:14 PM)elmore leonard Wrote:  If you like it? Ride it. It's not good for anything else.

I hear ya, that's my perspective too. But, my concern is that the previous owner put LOTS of miles on the bike, and I've heard that there is a finite lifespan to a frame. I've been told that a bike like this is a "Parade Bike" and should only have limited use. I'm not sure if that is being too cautious or not.
Poppy cock! take care of it and keep it maintained and ride with pride! not hurting a thing, Steel is real! should outlast you!
There are two kinds of people in the world, "Those who help themselves to people, and those who help people!"
the frame and fork will out live your grand kids if ridden every day.

the wheels - I am not a fan of that style; I am old fashion in that regard.
Nigel