Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the March Giveaway: Coming Soon

Suspension fork for kids bike, is it worth it?
Hi guys, we are considering to get mountain bike for my little nephew who's turning six in couple weeks. He's quite a spicy boy with a taste for action. We have found some nice options with either front suspension or simple rigid fork with no suspension. Asking for advice - are those suspension forks worth it for a young kids bike?

Thanks,
Marco
(07-22-2019, 05:16 PM)MamboNumber5 Wrote:  Hi guys, we are considering to get mountain bike for my little nephew who's turning six in couple weeks. He's quite a spicy boy with a taste for action. We have found some nice options with either front suspension or simple rigid fork with no suspension. Asking for advice - are those suspension forks worth it for a young kids bike?

Thanks,
Marco

Honestly, I don't see a real need for a suspension fork on kids bike until he/she reaches +/- 10y. Extra weight, price ..
(07-22-2019, 05:16 PM)MamboNumber5 Wrote:  Hi guys, we are considering to get mountain bike for my little nephew who's turning six in couple weeks. He's quite a spicy boy with a taste for action. We have found some nice options with either front suspension or simple rigid fork with no suspension. Asking for advice - are those suspension forks worth it for a young kids bike?

Thanks,
Marco

I hope you are aiming for 20" wheel bike? That's the right fit for a six year old if you want the bike to fit him for at least couple years, kids can outgrow bikes very fast.

My opinion: wouldn't really focus on the suspension, his next bike (age 10+) will introduce that Smile I doubt kids truly appreciate such forks, although they might be 'cooler' that the rigid ones.
Autobahn
And add to this that small suspension forks are... crap. No other word for that. They are heavy and don't work. Not as a real suspension fork anyway, they merely help to filter out rough roads. Plus kids of that size and weight actually would not benefit from that anyway, they are too lightweight. Go with wider tyres and lower pressure, this achieves pretty much the same.

And the kid might also learn some bike handling skills, how to correctly drive over a curbstone etc.
(07-26-2019, 03:20 AM)Joe_W Wrote:  And add to this that small suspension forks are... crap. No other word for that. They are heavy and don't work. Not as a real suspension fork anyway, they merely help to filter out rough roads. Plus kids of that size and weight actually would not benefit from that anyway, they are too lightweight. Go with wider tyres and lower pressure, this achieves pretty much the same.

And the kid might also learn some bike handling skills, how to correctly drive over a curbstone etc.

Yes, I have heard that the quality of those kids' bike suspension forks is very questionable. Well, can understand some reasoning behind it as these bikes are typically not designed to really smash those trails, endure crazy rides or last for years.
Autobahn
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the opinions. No suspension is the indisputable winner also in our household.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

06-01-2021, 07:09 PM
Last Post: Barrett

05-06-2011, 03:34 PM
Last Post: JohnV

10-16-2008, 12:42 PM
Last Post: neex