Have questions or want to discuss cycling? Join Now or Sign In to participate in the BikeRide community.

New: Take Part in the Latest Giveaway coming soon

Truing a wheel
I'm looking for a book on how to true a wheel with lots of pic in it. It needs to show some one like me that for some reason I don't understand what is going on with the wheel if I could find some one to show me in person that would be nice but that won't happen around here lol. So if any one knows of a good book on truing a wheel let me know where I can get one at that don't cost me a arm and a leg.
My dad always told me a Sledge a matic can fix any thing.
Not sure about lots of pictures, but "The Bicycle Wheel 3rd edition" by Jobst Brandt is a pretty good book. Search Amazon.com for bicycle wheel building, truing, and you can even go to your local library and search for books within their records. Just a few ideas.

Here you can search the Library of Congress..

http://catalog.loc.gov/
Good maintenance to your Bike, can make it like the wheels are, true and smooth!
(01-13-2010, 05:13 PM)Bill Wrote:  Not sure about lots of pictures, but "The Bicycle Wheel 3rd edition" by Jobst Brandt is a pretty good book. Search Amazon.com for bicycle wheel building, truing, and you can even go to your local library and search for books within their records. Just a few ideas.

Here you can search the Library of Congress..

http://catalog.loc.gov/

Thanks Bill I need all the help I can get on this. I got to learn this some how.
Get http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php
- cheap
- very good
- lots of pics
- good explanations
- free updates

available only as download
Thanks Joe_W that might be the book I need for sure.
I printed in in colour and ring-bound (dunno if that's the correct word) it. I reread some sections before building a new wheel. The "check list", 1 page with all steps written down in a short form, is very useful. Good luck and have fun. Wheel building is not that difficult, you need a bit understanding of mechanics and lots of patience. Oh, and quite a bit of time for the first wheels (I am still in that regime, I don't build wheels that often). And did I mention patience?

That reminds me: I have to check my newest front wheel. I got fancy and laced it two leading and two trailing, was a bit more difficult than a normal wheel.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread
Author
Replies
Views
Last Post

10-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Last Post: RobAR

01-30-2012, 06:04 AM
Last Post: Joe_W

06-18-2011, 03:45 AM
Last Post: Joe_W